Advanced Search

Spyderco Cricket

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Kyle Mazur
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 21

I’m new to the Wicked Edge (should be hear Tuesday) and new to this forum. I have a Spyderco Cricket that I use everyday. In the past I have used a Spyderco Sharpmaker to keep it sharp. I’m wondering if the curve of the Cricket is too small. Anyone have any experience with it? Should I get the curved stones to sharpen it?

Thanks all!

kmm

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

I don’t have that knife, so I can’t answer your specific question, but thought I’d mention a couple of things.

Don’t sharpen that knife until you’re comfortable with the WE.

You probably won’t be able to set the blade in the clamp like the directions. It may work better tilted down slightly (again don’t know for sure since I don’t have one).

Once you’re comfortable sharpening with the WE, set the Cricket in the clamp, then take a fine stone or ceramic and lightly move the stone along the edge… paying attention to how it contacts the edge. You’ll want to let the stone follow the “path” of the edge. Marking the edge with a Sharpie may help. Try adjusting the blade in the clamp to see it makes any difference.

I’d be especially careful at the tip… looks like it would be easy to take off if you’re not careful.

I think it can be done, it’ll just require some extra care. I’ve done Kershaw scallions and chives in the WE with the standard stones… just gotta pay extra attention to how the blade makes contact in the recurve areas.

Hope this helps!

Kyle Mazur
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 21

thanks so much for the info! can’t wait to give it a try!

Tom Whittington
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 159

I suspect at a quick glance from images, you should be able to work it if you’re careful and take it slow. I’ve done a couple of relatively gently curved blades, such as the SOG Toothlock, and had good results. Since a set of curved ceramics is way out of my budget for quite some time, I’m going to fiddle with carefully using just the edge of the stone for the deepest parts of the curve to see how it turns out. But definite emphasis on taking it slow and observing!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.