Advanced Search

Source for Norton Finium microfinishing film?

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Abrasives Source for Norton Finium microfinishing film?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mr.Wizard
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 190

Is anyone aware of a retail source for small quantities of Norton Finium microfinishing film?

This film is specifically designed for cutting metal as it is marketed “for powertrain applications.” It is claimed “proprietary new structure maximizes stock removal with better finish” and “high material removal and exceptional finish.” That sounds like something I want to try.

CliffCurry
    Participant
    • Topics: 42
    • Replies: 461

Oh my this product looks very interesting! Thank you for posting….will be following along and will post any info if I can find.

Aloha 🙂

CliffCurry
    Participant

Contacted Norton HQ today. Very nice lady referred me to a Hawaii sales rep. I called & left a message but no call back. Boo 🙁

SHVentus
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 64

SOP Cliff. 😉

CliffCurry
    Participant

Apparently I type a quick reply then promptly hit delete… Grrr

After emailing the Hawaii rep the info twice, he called today to inform product isnt available around here at least and if it was would be a huge cost for a minimum order.

A quick google search and I have 3m lapping films coming. Hopes are high as the 3m spec sheets also make their product sound like miracles of modern science…Time will tell. 🙂

Mr.Wizard
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 190

Thanks for the update. I guess since Finium is targeted at automotive production one will have to be lucky to find any.

I hope you are pleased with the 3M lapping films. They are more widely available and you can find reference to their use fairly easily. The lapping films are designed to produce a very even and ultimately polished surface for sample preparation, rather than “high material removal” etc. I have used them to sharpen a straight razor with middling success but I haven’t compared them to anything else for that purpose.

The 3M microfinishing film should be more similar to the Norton Finium product. I have never used the alumina version but I have brief experience with the 3M diamond MFF. My initial impression is positive but given its high cost I am not regularly using it.

The Finium marketing would have one believe that it performs exceptionally for an alumina product. It seems to be placed in a higher tier than their Q131, Q132, Q151 alumina microfinishing film.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.