Advanced Search

Some Shaving Fun with the WEPS and a Maestro Wu…

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Some Shaving Fun with the WEPS and a Maestro Wu…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Jende Industries
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 342

A few of us have thrown down the gauntlet on another forum about making a shaving video using Maestro Wu Cleavers…. Naturally, I entered the race 😉 I’ve decided to use the WEPS as my sharpening aide along with the Shapton Stones up to 30K and will finish with .125u CBN- my usual progression for straight razors. I’m planning on using a 15-18 degree bevel and taking microscope pictures of the progression as I go. Work on it begins this afternoon! I just shaved last night, and I want a good growth for the video, so perhaps it will be 3-5 days before the shave.

Stay tuned! :cheer:

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

I cannot wait Tom! I shaved once using my ESEE-4 sharpened with the WEPS, but a cleaver!! My face isn’t willing to try that!

Cheers
    Leo

Jende Industries
    Participant

I gave the cleaver a “dry run” to see if it would be feasible to shave without killing myself. It’s seems ok except under the nose, and I have to watch out not to hit my eye with the tip as I do my cheeks 🙂
    😛
    All in a day’s shave!

Jende Industries
    Participant

Here’s a little teaser 🙂 5K Shapton Pro @ 18 degrees.

Sorry my pictures aren’t as clear as I usually try to get- my assistant is at her grandmother’s house this afternoon! Also, any real pressure or bumps from the scope’s housing will chip things – and I need to shave with this beast!

Jende Industries
    Participant

Here’s a little teaser 🙂 5K Shapton Pro @ 18 degrees.

Sorry my pictures aren’t as clear as I usually try to get- my assistant is at her grandmother’s house this afternoon! Also, any real pressure or bumps from the scope’s housing will chip things – and I need to shave with this beast!

Picture size is 1mm x 1mm

Jende Industries
    Participant

Here’s the .125CBN edge…

…and after the WEPS leather strop

Jende Industries
    Participant

Here’s the video of the shave tonight B)

I’ll be writing up a blog post about the progression soon!

Enjoy!

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

Well Tom my hat is off to you mate! You did a really good job plus you had the nerve to shave near your lips with that thing!!! How well could you play the clarinet with no lips?!! Yikes! My eyes are watering just thinking about it. :S
    Now that is what I call sharp. Huzzahs my friend!

Cheers
    Leo

Jende Industries
    Participant

Thanks, Leo! B) Luckily? I don’t play too much anymore. Knives and teaching take up a lot of time…. 😛

That shave was a lot of fun – I’m ready to try again with a free-handed edge, but will wait for the challenge. My wife was ready to kill me with the first cleaver shave….

Anyway, I’ve written up the microscope picture progression I used with my WEPS using the Shapton Pro stones on WEPS paddles along with the .125 micron CBN.

Here is the link.[/url] Enjoy!

B) B) B)

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

Excellent stuff my friend. Your detail work with the knives and camera are much appreciated…but please don’t tell me you don’t play much anymore :ohmy: …knives and stuff are important, but your clarinet playing is an integral part of you…so many practice hours.
    I regret now my past letting the clarinet skills slip away from me.
    Sorry! Old man talking!

Leo

Larry
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 44

Hey I used to play the clarinet too! What is it with knife sharpeners and clarinet players?
    Tho I am not quite as aged as Leo I too have let the playing slip away.

Lucky

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

Hey Lucky! What a coincidence eh! Clarinet Players Anonymous! Maybe it is broader than that, because Clay plays a wicked guitar I understand in a Country And Western group.I wonder whether there are other musicians lurking here?!
    BTW how aged are you mate? 😉

Cheers
    Leo

Larry
    Participant
    • Replies: 44

I am just a puppy yet, will hit 62 next month!

Lucky

Edwin Lurvey
    Participant
    • Replies: 80

You are a brave man. Just don’t try that on the “chassis”, then your wife would really be pissed!

On a side note, I want to get my first straight razor. I work for a shaving company, so I have access to the best safety shaving gear in the world, but I want to venture into the straight razor world. We have an art of shaving store on site where I can buy premium supplies, but they also sell straight razors.
    http://www.theartofshaving.com/shop/razors/straight

Any tips on which straight razor to buy? I want a nice one to pass down as an heirloom. I am not stuck on Art of Shaving straight razors, I will buy anything that is high quality.

Also, this shaving oil is magical. http://www.theartofshaving.com/shop/shaving-products/pre-shave-oil
    I have used it with a Gillette Proglide, and it is incredible how much is helps performance of a shave over a shave without it. I have also had an art of shaving straight edge shave at one time, and the oil makes all the difference in the world.

Jende Industries
    Participant

As you can tell from my video, I’m the kid here! Just turned 36 🙂 Leo, I’m still a little active in music. I have a stray student here and there, and I still conduct a university wind band. I don’t miss playing that much (anymore)… Who knows what will happen in the future, though. I’m leaving my options open. Right now, the knife and razor stuff keeps me plenty happy – and busy!

@ Edhead – The Art of Shaving has some very nice shaving products. I absolutely love their lemon scented after shave lotion. I have their pre-shave oil, and it doesn’t seem to do anything either way for me, but it depends on your skin type, humidity levels, etc. If it works for you, then keep using it!

Buying your first straight is a wonderful experience 🙂 The Art of Shaving uses TI blades, which are decent, but I feel a little overpriced on their site. There’s a whole world of straight razors out there to choose from. Shaving politics, as you probably know, is very volatile! 😆 If you want more info PM me here, and I think we can find a good solution for you 😉

Something to consider is to transition more gradually into straights – Gillette makes a simple DE (Double Edge) safety razor (as opposed to some of the more elaborate DE’s). It is a safer way to get used to the feeling of the blade actually against the skin on your face, and to get the technique of stretching the skin (I don’t know how experienced a wet shaver you are). This is something we can further explore, for sure!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.