Advanced Search

Smallest blade that can be done on the WE

Recent Forums Main Forum Smallest blade that can be done on the WE

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    David
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 37

Hello every one. I was wondering what is the smallest pocket knife blade the WE ccan be sharpened. I have a small case kknife.  Thank you for any information.

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Welcome to our Forum David.  Small bladed knives sometimes require an adapter to allow them to be sharpened with the Wicked Edge System.  Wicked Edge has their small knife adapter called the “Low Angle Adapter” which works well in many situations.  I have also used Tormek’s “Small Knife Holders”.

Anything you use that allows for secure holding of the knife in the Wicked Edge vice jaws can be used.  Repeatability is another issue, that is the ability to re-clamp the knife for subsequent sharpenings in the same manner as originally clamped so as to obtain the same results, each time the knife is re-sharpened.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

4 users thanked author for this post.
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I too have the Low Angle Adapter and the Tormek Small Knife Holder and agree with Marc on all points.  One thing that I’ve never seen mentioned is that the Tormek unit depends on the tightness of the pivot joint in folding knives for accuracy.  Often older knives have a bit of play in the joint and the blade will move around as you work on one side or the other.  Since I use a one-side-at-a-time stroke method, I can apply some back-force with my opposite hand to reduce the amount of movement.  This seems to work very well and I’ve had no problems achieving a sharp edge.

I’ve done several knives with blades less than an inch long, but the width of the blade (from spine to edge) is usually the limiting factor.   You may need to use one of the adapters mentioned by Marc or you may be forced to go to a much higher angle to get at the edge.  I have a small SOG folder that has a very thick cross-section and short, heavily-tapered blade.  I can sharpen it in the Gen 3 vise, but I have to go to 24 degrees per side to avoid hitting the edge of the vise with the stones.

6 users thanked author for this post.
    David
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 37

Thank you for the warm welcome. I have a wicked edge ordered. I do have the low angle adapter coming with the unit. Being new to wicked edge I may have more questions.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Thank you for the warm welcome. I have a wicked edge ordered. I do have the low angle adapter coming with the unit. Being new to wicked edge I may have more questions.

David, We love questions!

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Welcome, David. I think Marc and Tom (tcmeyer) already answered your question. And don’t be afraid to ask more questions. That’s what we are for 🙂 .

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.