Advanced Search

Small round knives

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

I have a small round knife which is used for cutting leather since I am waiting for my WE what is the method to sharpen one do you do half the knife at a time . I made a jig up for my Edge Pro to sharpen it although in-spite of rotating it on a plinth so a to keep the stone from travelling too far the bevel is probable double at the tips which is probable the opposite of what would be really useful.
    Here is a picture of the knife on the jig the top part of the base rotates through 180ร‹ลก but I can see this should be a lot simpler on the WE in fact I imagine it should be really simple .
    Who has sharpened them and how?

Attachments:
    tuffy braithwaite
    Participant
    • Topics: 184
    • Replies: 360

last week i had a somewhat similar type knife to sharpen, but it was un-mountable in the WE, so i just used the 600 to 1000 diamond paddles on it, but it was chisel grind job.

Attachments:
    Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

last week i had a somewhat similar type knife to sharpen, but it was un-mountable in the WE, so i just used the 600 to 1000 diamond paddles on it, but it was chisel grind job.

Wow Max I just did the exact knife two days ago! Same handle everything! I couldn’t mount it where I felt comfortable either, so I did it on my bench stones. Then stropped it with a strop from strops plus. Now that I think about it I could have used your method (WE paddles) pretty easily. :huh:

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I’ve done lots of round and head knives and they come out really well. I mount them vertically so that the handle sits on the blue base and I do one half at a time, going just beyond the middle so that there is an overlap when I flip the knife around. The leather workers I’ve sharpened for really like the results.

-Clay

Leo Barr
    Participant

I thought it would be straight forward the round knives need to be screaming sharp especially when cutting channels for invisible stitching or putting bevels on the edges .
    I cant wait to get it that sharp since my current method is a little awkward as the knife tends to move out of the jig. It took quite a lot of thought to come up with the solution for the EP it gives a better result than free hand sharpening but nothing like I expect from the WE.

Thanks for the solution

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant

I’ve done lots of round and head knives and they come out really well. I mount them vertically so that the handle sits on the blue base and I do one half at a time, going just beyond the middle so that there is an overlap when I flip the knife around. The leather workers I’ve sharpened for really like the results.

I looked at set up in the vise that way, but was scared I would have two bevels? I guess I should have asked on here and got a suggestion? :huh: I think it will come back down the road so it is good to know for next time. Thanks, Clay! ๐Ÿ™‚

Robert Nash
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 164

Hey Leo – welcome to the forum, hope you are enjoying your Wicked Edge!

Here’s Clay’s video – this knife looks to be a bit larger than the one you have so let us know how it works out for you!

Leo Barr
    Participant

Thanks for the welcome its almost a week since I ordered my WE pro 11 I live in Spain so I reckon it is going to be somewhere in the region of 2 months before I get it .
    I am just paving the way at the moment thanks for the link to the you tube video I noticed that Clay had a round knife on his desk in one of his videos so I thought there would be a solution and there it is simple as said my round knife is smaller than the one in the video so maybe I will need to put a chock under the handle to get the blade in the right place ( I am thinking a block of wood or something around 20mm high will probable do it .

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Leo, it’s off-topic, but if you ever want to buy an accessory: look at the list of international dealers. There’s one in France (and I know him as reliable), so that should be a lot quicker.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant

Hey Leo – welcome to the forum, hope you are enjoying your Wicked Edge!

Here’s Clay’s video – this knife looks to be a bit larger than the one you have so let us know how it works out for you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvx35x_WhC0%5B/quote%5D

Hi Bob, Hey thanks for the video! I learn from watching much better then reading! Now I understand how it is done and actually want to redo it just to see the difference?

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

That Knife is an Ulu a knife originally used by Inuit woman for food prep and scraping skins.

I have a couple of them. Very useful for dicing and chopping vegetables and as a general purpose knife.

http://www.the-knife-connection.com/knife-blade-types.html

An Ulu (Inuit woman’s knife) knife is a sharpened segment of a circle. This blade type has no point, and has a handle in the middle. It is good for scraping, and sometimes chopping. It is the strongest knife shape. The semi-circular version appears elsewhere in the world and is called a head knife. It is used in leatherworking both to scrape down leather (reducing thickness), and to make precise, rolling cuts for shapes other than straight lines.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulu

An ulu (Inuktitut syllabics: รกโ€œโ€”, plural: uluit, English: “woman’s knife”[1]) is an all-purpose knife traditionally used by Eskimo women, both Yupik and Inuit. It is utilized in applications as diverse as skinning and cleaning animals, cutting a child’s hair, cutting food and, if necessary, trimming blocks of snow and ice used to build an igloo.

Leo’s version might be what this quote calls a head knife.

Just a bit of data to make it easier to talk about..
    ๐Ÿ™‚

Leo Barr
    Participant

`That knife looks like one used for cutting herbs often on a purpose made dished chopping board ; the geometry of the round knife is such that when using the point it is easy to cut a curve or when cutting straight the cut is started with the edge and as the cut progresses the knife is rolled towards the centre or as the centre is in line with the grip a lot of pressure can be used to cut though thick layers of leather they are great knives to use.

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

Hey Clay..
    could you describe this better so someone like me that has a hard time with visualization might “get” it?
    Just not following the handle on the blue base part at all.

THX

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant

Hey Clay..
    could you describe this better so someone like me that has a hard time with visualization might “get” it?
    Just not following the handle on the blue base part at all.

THX

[/quote]

Phil did you happen to see Clay’s video in this thread? It does a pretty good job of explaining the handle. Even I understand now.;) And that is usually a reach! ๐Ÿ˜†

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

`That knife looks like one used for cutting herbs often on a purpose made dished chopping board ; the geometry of the round knife is such that when using the point it is easy to cut a curve or when cutting straight the cut is started with the edge and as the cut progresses the knife is rolled towards the centre or as the centre is in line with the grip a lot of pressure can be used to cut though thick layers of leather they are great knives to use.

I have one of the Shun Mezzaluna knives and boards like you describe. It’s great for fine dicing/chopping of herbs.

-Clay

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.