Advanced Search

Slow site speed

Recent Forums Main Forum Suggestion Box Slow site speed

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Jerry
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 3

I don’t know much about website construction, set up, etc. but for me, the Wickededge site loads pages very slowly. I could understand it if I were on dial up or had a slow connection speed, but I am on Time Warner with a download speed showing at 23.0 Mbps. This is the only site that is this slow. I really do enjoy reading the posts, but the wait time is sometimes 20 seconds to go from page 1 to page 2. Is it something on my end or your hosting site?

Not trying to be negative, but it sure would be great if it were faster.

Thanks,

Jerry

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll pass it along to the webmaster and see what can be done.

–Clay

-Clay

Richard Green
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 23

Very slow here, too.

Dennis Hibar
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 99

It’s been like this since I registered and became a WE user. However, I don’t believe that the “site” itself is the problem. More likely … it’s the server on which the site is hosted (looks like a crystaltech.com server and even more likely, a shared server at crystaltech). While the site is designed and maintained with Joomla (and I am definitely not a fan of Joomla … many coding errors, needless use of extensions and proprietary code), the coding, as a whole, does not appear to be causing the slowness. The lag occurs when sending a command to fetch the site from the server …. a long delay is experienced waiting for the server to respond. Once it does and starts transferring data … load time is comparable with most sites. Anyway, that’s my take on it …. for what it’s worth!

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

It’s been like this since I registered and became a WE user. However, I don’t believe that the “site” itself is the problem. […] The lag occurs when sending a command to fetch the site from the server …. a long delay is experienced waiting for the server to respond. Once it does and starts transferring data … load time is comparable with most sites.

Good analysis!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Allgonquin
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 51

I have always thought the site was very slow as well. I just assumed it was the host – but I’m not a computer person. The slowness gets a bit annoying if I have not been on in several days and I want to view a bunch of threads which have been updated. If I just pop by once a day and it’s only a few updates, then it’s not so bothersome. But yeah, it’s slow.

And as long as I’m ranting a bit, the site will NOT remember me, either. I’m running a Mac with Safari 5 1 5. But don’t take this the wrong way, I love my WEPS!

Dennis Hibar
    Participant

And as long as I’m ranting a bit, the site will NOT remember me, either. I’m running a Mac with Safari 5 1 5.

Well …. that simply should not be. As long as you are not blocking cookies or clearing data upon quit … your log-in info should be retained and you should be remembered on your next visit. The site deposits 4 cookies (you will only see one registered using Safari). The one which remembers you is valid for 1 year, unless, of course, you clear the cookie from your system. Personally, I use Firefox …. but just tested Safari to see if a problem existed. Nope, remembered me upon my next visit as it should.

Ziggy
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 177

Don’t know what your running but it is slow .. slow like the single slowest forum I’ve ever been on.
    Not complaining, just letting you know Clay.

I would guess there are problems with the code.

Its so slow I tend to stay off topics and my system is blazing.

Just a heads up.

Ziggy
    Participant

submitting the above topic took 15 seconds.

Dennis Hibar
    Participant

Zig …

As I pointed out a few msgs earlier … while the site coding is not perfect (done using the open source Joomla content management software), the page code, itself, is not resulting in the site being slow to load. The lag time is being caused by the server on which it is hosted. To test this …. I replicated the WE home page (not the forum home page) on my local host’s server (which is really not a very fast server at all). (Note: Clay: Hope you are not upset about this.) The only thing I did to the code was to delete the code for its tracking/statistics scripts. Also, because of some of the renaming of the scripts in the code, there are a few abnormalities in rotating images. Aside from that, everything is pretty much as it is on Clay’s server. HOWEVER, the page loads in 5-6 seconds (on my DSL connection) vs 11 – 15 seconds for the original page on WE site.

Ziggy
    Participant

Thanks Dennis, Understood.
    When I referred to code I was thinking that Joomla was making it run so slow.

When on your test link, on the main moving through the menu I found it slow.

Looks like its boiling down to the server. Even on your local, jumping from page to page is abnormally slow.

Dennis Hibar
    Participant

Zig …

Keep in mind that I only replicated that one page. If you use ANY of the links on this page, they are calling on the pages located on the server that WE is using ….. that’s the reason for the return of the “slowness” you experienced. I have gotten used to the page loading speed (or lack thereof) on the WE site. I just wanted to point out that it’s really the result of the server, not the site code.

wickededge
    Keymaster

Thanks guys for all the feedback. I’ve passed it all along to the webmaster and we’ll see what can be done about it. I’ll also contact CrystalTech to see if we can move to a different/faster server.

-Clay

Kennith Chan
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 41

Hi people

What I do to compensate for the slow speed is I open the index from the main forum. I then see which of the topics have new posts. I then right click on the green (x new post) and open in a new tab. I then go to that new tab and do the same for the topics. That way while I am busy reading the 1st topic all the others are loading in the background in other tabs. Yes when you have a backlog and there is more than one page you need to catch up on it is back to the slow speed.

wickededge
    Keymaster

We’re working on this now – we’ll most likely move the site to a new server.

-Clay

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.