Advanced Search

Skinning knife angle

Recent Forums Main Forum Getting Started Skinning knife angle

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Josh-L
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 13

What angle you guys think is best for a skinning/gut knife used on deer?

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Josh-L, I hate to leave you hanging without your answer.  From what I know and have learned here on the Forum a blade of that type can be sharpened to a fairly wide bevel.  20 degrees per side would be on the narrow end, possibly too narrow for field dressing and skinning.  25º to 30º per side is a bit more robust and will be a little less sharp but certainly more durable but still able to handle the chore.

Again, I’m sure someone else will be happy to share they’re experience with you.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Pinkfloyd
    Participant
    • Topics: 22
    • Replies: 208

I have done 22 deg, 24 deg for different Deer hunters skinning knives. Some like the 22 deg bevel, others wanted the wider 24 deg bevel both seemed to work for each individual

3 users thanked author for this post.
    sksharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 408

There are a ton of different types of “skinning” knives. A skinning knife generally means a swept cutting edge used to take the flesh off the skin of an animal. 20 to 25 deg. is a general guideline for these.

Generally the thicker the blade the more obtuse the angle. With a skinning knife I think the wider blade needs a more acute angle, say 18 to 20 deg. and the thinner the blade will work better at 22 to 25 deg. This like all types of knives are subject to the person using the knife and how they want it to perform for them.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

For me, 20-22 degrees has always worked very well for skinning. Going with a more acute angle increases the risk in putting holes in the hide by accidentally cutting through.

-Clay

5 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.