Advanced Search

Single stone-pair addition for WE GO user (advice needed)

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Abrasives Single stone-pair addition for WE GO user (advice needed)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Cory
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

I’m seeking recommendations on which single pair of stones would be best to add on to the 200 / 600 diamond stones that came with my Wicked Edge GO.

I love my sharpener and have been bitten by the addiction to refined edges, so I want to take it to the next level. For various financial and location-based reasons, I am unfortunately constrained to adding only a single pair of stones to my kit.

The 800 / 1000 diamond stones seem like the obvious next step, but I am wondering if the jump to the 1200 / 1600 ceramic stones wouldn’t be too large. Or is there some other better option within my constraints that I haven’t thought of?

I should mention that I haven’t been keen to delve into stropping or anything more involved than stones on the guided sharpener system. The simplicity of just throwing stones on the guide-rods and running them over the blade is very appealing to me.

Thanks in advance for any input (even if it’s to call me foolish, because I probably am).

cjb80202
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 33

I vote for the 800/1000. I think it’s the best addition to the grits that come with the GO.

For me, over time, I’ve added stones at both ends of the spectrum, going down to the 50/80 grit, and up to the 1200/1600. And, I’m not a very scientific or sophisticated sharpener. But the range of 200 – 1000 gives amazing results on my kitchen knives.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Jumping from 600-grit to 1200-grit is a bit of a stretch.  You’ll find that it will take quite a bit longer to remove the 600-grit scratches.  Where a knife steel is exceptionally hard, it may take longer still.  The benefit of smaller steps is that it takes very little effort to remove the deepest scratches from the previous grit.  While the ceramic stones do a fair job, most of the long-time users here on the forum have replaced their ceramics with the 1500-grit diamond stones.  They seem to produce more uniform scratch patterns and with less effort.  I’d stay with the 800/1000-grit stones.

Of course, if you go the ceramic route, you can always add the 800/1000’s later on, if that makes sense to you.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    MarcH
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2733

I think you’ll see the most practical benefits using the 800/1000

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Cory
    Participant
    • Replies: 1

That’s great input everyone, thank you very much. Seems that the 800 / 1000 diamond is the way to go, so I will be placing that order pronto

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Hogdog
    Participant
    • Replies: 18

On my Go with the leather strops I added to it the edge I get I greatly improved above what I get just ending at the 600 grit. Excellent edge for my hard working cardboard cutting EDC.

3 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.