Advanced Search

Shun Kitchen Scissor’s Angle

Recent Forums Main Forum Shun Kitchen Scissor’s Angle

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    John
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 3

snyone know the best angle for Shun kitchen scissors? I’ll  be trying the felt tip, but wonder what the preferred angle is since I don’t want to go too fine.

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

John I don’t know the angle….scissors cut by the precise meeting place between the two sides of the scissor blades.  In my experience the angles of the two bevels are very wide angles or obtuse.  The metal does not cut like a knife by insetting into what they’re cutting and passing through it. It’s a pinching between the precise meeting place of the two sides of the scissors.   You want more of a smooth precise surface on the scissor side, than a sharp angle.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

In case you haven’t seen it, here is the official WE instructional on how to sharpen scissors.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    John
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 3

That’s the video, and angle, I was asking about. I have the scissor attachment on order and was trying to get a jump on the process. It looks like it should be fairly easy to establish the angle using the WE130 and the attachment.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

John,  I recently got the scissor attachment.  So far I’ve only sharpened three pairs of scissors.  I used a sharpie and determined the angle that way.  I did find the bevel angle on the scissors was not flat and consistent across the thickness of the scissor steel.  Thicker scissors that was more evident than thinner steel scissors.  I concentrated my sharpening efforts right at the portion of the bevel where the two sides made contact.  I did not profile the full thickness of the steel.  I left it as it was.  Just smoothing and flattening the point where the two sides contacted made a big difference in the sharpness feel of the scissors.  I did not really remove any steel, just aligned the sides so they met smoothly.

I don’t think the angle would be helpful to you because scissors are so different form pair to pair and the clamping position is almost impossible to record.  Besides the clamping position of the scissors in the adapter you also have a separate clamping position of the adapter in the vice to content with.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

3 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.