Advanced Search

Should this look like this?

Recent Forums Main Forum Should this look like this?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Gazillion
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 24

Hello everyone,

I need a little help.

I purchased the larger Gen 3 jaws for my WE Gen 3 Pro. I removed the original jaws and installed Generation 3 Jaws for 1/4″ Blades with no issues.

Then, today I removed the Generation 3 Jaws for 1/4″ Blades to install the original jaws and the original jaws won’t go back into their original position. I noticed a black thingy (you’ll see what I’m talking about in the picture) sticking up in the middle and am wondering if the thingy is what’s blocking the original jaws from occupying their intend seat?

I apologize for my lack of technical proficiency, what can I say, I’m a sales guy.

Any help,would be greatly appreciated.

If additional pictures are required please let me know.

Derek

Attachments:
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Welcome to the WE Forum Gazillion,  the black thing is the cam.  It  looks like it in the up position. It does some times hang up.  With the vice/jaws lever handle in the open/unlocked position the cam should slide down. If the cam hangs up just push it down with your finger.  If the lever is open/unlocked the cam should just fall down out of the way.  Then the jaws should reinstall as usual.

Here is the link to a PDF with pictures showing and explaining how to disassemble the vice.  This was made by forum member “Graphite”

The cam made need to be wiped of dust or the cam follower, below the cam may need a light smoothing around the edges to make it fall down easier and allow the cam to drop.  Hope this helps.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Gazillion
    Participant

Good afternoon Marc,

You’re awesome for replying so quickly. A buddy came over to see the Wicked Edge and sharpen some knives and I’m having my first ever, very minor issue.

I’m going to follow your instructions now and we’ll see what happens. Stand by.

Additionally, would you please consider making me an aluminum Rack-it? I’m determining the size right now.

Derek

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Gazillion
    Participant

I finally got the cam to move into its seated / lowered position.

I couldn’t get it to move at first. I tried pushing it down with my finger / thumb and it wouldn’t seat. Then I tried gently tapping the cam with a screw driver handle. This didn’t work.

I blew the WE off with canned air and finally got the cam to seat.

It still doesn’t feel right. I probably need to take my WE apart for a thorough cleaning.

Thank you for the advice that got me sharpening again!

Derek

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Some of us have sanded lightly the edges of the square cam follower to increase it’s tolerance.  I think when you set the jaw tension up it presses the cam follower tighter in its seat and maybe it forces it or wedges it in place.  I also lubricated my vice inner workings with a dry wax lubricant, I had on hand. It’s used for bicycle derailleurs (so they run freely but don’t collect dirt).  There are other similar and Teflon products out there you can use.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Gazillion
    Participant

Good morning MarchH,

I apologize for my late response. I’m growing accustomed to navigating the forum and keeping up with the conversations to which I’m a participant.

Thank you for the square cam follower advice. I’m going to do this because I’ve been having issues for some time and was completely unaware of this solution.

Derek

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.