Advanced Search

Should I get new ball joint arms?

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance Should I get new ball joint arms?

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Scott
    Participant
    • Topics: 27
    • Replies: 121

Well I’m not sure how this thread became about me, but it is me in the picture and the stick I am holding is a collapsible mono pod for mounting a 35mm camera when you don’t want to carry a tripod. The dog is Charlie one of my 2 labs. I got the old arms with my PP2 but the new ones are so slick that I never even looked twice at the old ones. They seem kind of puny next to the new ones.

Chris
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 351

Well I’m not sure how this thread became about me,

You are “trending” Scott, WickedEdge and Scott come up together in all my searches now. 😉

I got the old arms with my PP2 but the new ones are so slick that I never even looked twice at the old ones. They seem kind of puny next to the new ones.

The new ones are thicker.

Now my 2cents!

If the old arms were perfectly made, then I might agree with those that say they are fine.
    The truth is, they could be better with the design they are now.
    The joints have too much play , the arms are not thick enough.
    It’s well documented about people adding washers and putting straws on the arms.

You don’t need to be a rocket scientist to realize that ball joints are much better than a universal joint.
    My guess it’s a big part of why the WEPS won the “Accessory of the Year” at the 2012 “Blade Show and International Cutlery Fair”.
    Of course they were prototypes or adapted then.

A mighty achievement!

Who should buy them?
    If you can afford them, then you!
    Clay is keeping them as part of the “non-Pro II” kits, simply to keep cost down.

Along with the new arms, you also now have the “longer angle bar” which allows a broader range of angles, and the new arms are a tighter fit on the bar.
    You have added “micro adjustment”.
    Thicker arms, so no more straws.

Can you still sharpen a knife to “push-cut” with the old arms?
    Of course, nothing compares to a WEPS, full stop!

So, it comes down to $$$$$$, as for value, I wish the whole thing was cheaper, but it’s the price we pay until mass production is a reality.

I find it hard to use the old arms when the new arms fix the only negatives I have with the WEPS!

edit – If I was selling them, then I would hope everyone buys them (old arms) now until there is no stock of old arms on the planet! 😉

Will they continue to be made, simply to provide a cheaper option?
    Will they be slightly improved if they are?

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Will they continue to be made, simply to provide a cheaper option?

Yes, although not just for cost; the arms as is are very functional and you can get terrific edges with the Basic Kit. The little bit of play is generally a non-issue as your hand naturally finds a consistent hold and pressure. Over the years, I’ve never had any issue with the quality of edge I can produce. (*edited after thinking about it a little more.)

Will they be slightly improved if they are?

We may make some tweaks to the production process but probably won’t see those until sometime in the middle of next year. At the moment, I wouldn’t hesitate a moment to order the Basic Kit with the stock arms knowing how well they’ve worked for me. (*edited after updating the timeline with our factory)

-Clay

Martin Singer
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 22

Received my new arms last week. They offer a much mre pleasant sharpening experience for me. I usually avoid the inevitable challenges.

I visit daily without logging in but enjoy the forum and Scott’s observations and questions. Scott, don’t wimp out like I did early on.

Chris
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 351

Retracted!

Apologies.

Scott
    Participant
    • Topics: 27
    • Replies: 121

I visit daily without logging in but enjoy the forum and Scott’s observations and questions. Scott, don’t wimp out like I did early on.

Well, now I do feel special. B) Okay, it’s Monday morning so all you youngsters go out to work and build stuff or take your kids to school or whatever , while us retired guys chat it up a bit. It’ll all be here for you when you get back. Don’t worry there will be lots of dumb questions to amuse and pointed critiques and technical questions to entertain and enlighten. I’ll see about ways to get more creative also. for example it occurs to me that now that we can hone our edges to a mirror polish, perhaps there is a way to inscribe fancy writing or designs in the little tiny edge shoulder that can only be seen with a microscope. I seem to recall seeing something somewhere where artists were writing and drawing on things like rice kernels for example. Lots of food for thought and it gives me something to do in between grits and knife sharpening in my spare time while I search for more gadgets and gizmos to buy.

I’m a bit interested in that ultra sonic bath thing a ma jigger I saw in another recent thread to clean my new stones. :cheer:

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

for example it occurs to me that now that we can hone our edges to a mirror polish, perhaps there is a way to inscribe fancy writing or designs in the little tiny edge shoulder that can only be seen with a microscope. I seem to recall seeing something somewhere where artists were writing and drawing on things like rice kernels for example.

That’s a good one!!!! 😛 😛 :cheer:

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

They laser inscribe diamonds with serial numbers. The number is legible with 10x scope.

Would work fine on an edge until you sharpen it once.

Inscribing you name on the spine might be more practical.

Fred Hermann
    Participant
    • Topics: 30
    • Replies: 188

Maybe we could insribe the Constitution on the edge in micro script…
    Nah, that would be more evidence of our OCD tendencies, and we’d nitpick the heck out of each other’s hand writing skills….

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.