Advanced Search

Should I get new ball joint arms?

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance Should I get new ball joint arms?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    RICK LINDSEY
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 2

I keep hearing about people getting new ball joint arms.(due to problem with the old ones maybe?)
    I have a F&S. Is there some reason I should get them too? Or am I missing something?
    Thanks in advance…

Cory
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 31

As you can see I’m somewhat of a newbie around here also so take this for what it is worth. I would love to have the new risers and I’m sure I will get them in time but I am getting hair shaving edges with what I have right now so it is hard for me to justify dropping that amount of coin on a system that is already leaps and bounds ahead of the rest. I have been keeping track of this forum for a month now and just reding and absorbing information and there are some people on here that know more about metal and knives than I thought possible. People that literally want to find the perfect edge. My knives are tools and I love to keep my tools in the best shape I can hence me having the best sharpener on the market. I’m looking for functionality though where others here are looking to make there knife sharper then obsidian. Then you have the push cut guys with polished edges or the toothy edged guys with there reasons why that edge works better for them. I have learned so much in such a short time it is amazing the people and talent and in some cases obsession that is here to take advantage of. My advise to you would be to ask yourself what you sharpen your knives for, therapy, fun, hunting the perfect edge, functioning tool, or any other reason you can think of.

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

Absolutely great advice…

This OCD stuff is for folks that get totally absorbed into getting to “perfection”.
    Of course, perfect is a moving target, depending on many personal variables.
    Sometimes the pursuit is the goal…
    Strange HUH ?
    Phil

Scott
    Participant
    • Topics: 27
    • Replies: 121

Are you saying there might be something wrong with wanting to push cut atomic particles with a Sebenza that has a mirror polished edge? There’s no OCD here. (I joke)

Phil Pasteur
    Participant

Scott, Do you EVER even sleep???
    Work…
    Talk to your family???
    🙂
    Just curious…

Splitting atoms is good, if that is what your heart desires.
    Neccessary… possibly not.

Scott
    Participant

OUCH Phil,

I am sitting with my wife and two Labs as I write this and we do speak, frequently. I don’t sleep much and I don’t work, since I have been retired for about 6 years now. If I only sought to do what was necessary, I would consider my life to have been a total waste. I hope to go way beyond that. Maybe some day I will be able to split a neuron or a photon.

Phil Pasteur
    Participant

Don’t split any neurons… it might hurt..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuron

Just playing..
    🙂
    I enjoy the conversation! But struggle to keep up…

My two Rotties seem to understand, but observably…don’t *like* me being at the keyboard…
    They seem to think that I should have better things to do…
    🙂

Robert Nash
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 164

Hi Rick – hope you are well and enjoying your F&S (and welcome to the fourm too!)

Cory’s and Phil’s advice/observations are right on the money (welcome to you too Cory!). For most people there is nothing “wrong” with the original arms on the WE100 GenIIs – I still work only with those arms and get absolutely amazing, hair splitting/read in the mirrored bevel, results. The design functions great and 1 degree angle adjustments are nothing to shake your fist at, particularly when compared with most systems out there.

The only thing I would really add, is that the joints on the arms for your F&S operate slightly differently and so aren’t subject to the same angle variability that some people experience with the WE100 basic arms, and your angle adjustments are in 2 degree increments (also nothing to shake your fist at IMO). Also, currently the ball joint arms aren’t compatible with the F&S system, though I think I saw last week that Clay and Don were playing with how to possibly make a kit that would be compatible.

Have a great weekend!:)

Cory
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 31

Scott I’m actually hoping you succeed in push cutting atoms that way I can be one of the first to read about what edge you put on the blade. All of my friends at work already joke about my knives and how I want them to spark when they slice through the air. I have to leave the atom splitting research to you retired guys though because I’m still working my butt off ever day! I really wish you good luck in all of your obsessions! Haha…

Scott
    Participant

Thanks Cory,

I am starting to feel a bit self conscious about posting so much. I may have to sit back and let others fill in for me. I am just sort of new and enthusiastic about my new found hobby at this time. But I can see that I am drawing attention In a not so good way.

Appreciate your good thoughts though, so thanks for that.

Dennis Gocong
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 93

Don’t split any neurons… it might hurt..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuron

Just playing..
    🙂
    I enjoy the conversation! But struggle to keep up…

My two Rotties seem to understand, but observably…don’t *like* me being at the keyboard…
    They seem to think that I should have better things to do…
    🙂

I think Scott meant to say that…..heh, heh.

BTW, Scott…what did you do before retiring? Seeing your proze and prodigious volume of observations makes me think you’ve an engineer or educator of sorts? No matter, but it is true that you’re and O/C type and that’s a given for most of us here on the board.

But getting back to the OP, it’s a good question given that I’ve asked myself the same thing, and given that I want to maximize my functionality yet minimize my expense….I wondered whether the new arms were worth it? The answer is truly YES, but when the OEM arms are good enough (with some of the additional adjustments i.e. washers, rubber covers, straws, rolled mats, etc.), then my practical side kicks in and tells me to wait till my obsession really gnaws at me before succumbing to any additional purchases……cuz getting the basics of what I want now will cost me a system well over +$1000, where it’s considered small potatoes for some of the truly obsessive’s here. And that my friend is a little pricey for me considering all I originally wanted was “The Best & Effective” sharpening system for a practical user like myself. So I’ve put myself on hold till further notice…..

Phil Pasteur
    Participant

Scott..
    I wouldn’t worry about it. If you have something to write…wrie it down. It keep things lively around here and get things discussed that are of general interest. That is what this forum is all about. This whole thing with the WIKI … I brought up because I wanted to have an easy way to point you to information in answer to your questions.
    Phil

Scott
    Participant

No worries Phil, I am not going anywhere soon. I am quite invested in this hobby of mine (ours) and I know my inquisitive nature is shared by many here. While I don’t really know anyone here other than by their posts, most seem pretty friendly and happy to share ideas and curiosities. There will always be some who will be critical of others, it seems to be in the nature of our species, but in an open forum with a very narrow focus such as this, I know it is the things in we have in common that matter not the things that divide us.

Dawg, to answer your question… before I retired, I was a Detective on a metropolitan city police department. Now I’m just a retired guy living on an island in Washington, enjoying several pass times and of course my time here and on other forums of interest.

Dennis Gocong
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 93

Ahh, that’s where that natural inquisitiveness comes from.

Pleasure to meet you and I enjoy your questions too…..

So please carry on……

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Scott, while we are talking about you what is the black stick you are holding in your photo? Assuming it’s you in the photo?

My 2 cents. I am planning to get the upgrade from day one. I have hear 50/50 that the old work fine or the new are much better. I would rather just learn with the new from day 1 rather than upgrade later. Not that there is a big difference in how you use them, just talking about getting used to something then changing it later on.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.