Advanced Search

Shiv Works Clinch Pick

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    sjstill
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

Just got one of the new Clinch Picks off Amazon.  Nice little knife, but dull, dull, dull.  I’m used to sharpening Emerson chisel grinds on my WE.  So, looking for suggestions on what angle(s) to use for the Clinch Pick.

Search function yielded no results.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

This was a new one for me.  I googled it and found only a little info so I did some reading.  At first I thought it was a bit strange, but then figured out that what would be the spine on a normal knife is actually the sharpened edge on the Clinch Pick.  We’re talking hand-to-hand combat.  The ShivWorks web site is really uninformative.

To decide what angle to use, I’d ask “What is your intended use?”  If it’s strictly self defense or law enforcement, (thinking that when you’ll need it, you’ll need it really sharp) I’d suggest a lower angle – maybe 15 – 17 dps (degrees per side).  For more general use (EDC) or if you are keeping it as part of a collection, I’d go with 20.  Depending on the type of steel and its hardness, you might think differently.

Given the current attitudes about use of excessive force by LE, I would think this thing is a scary tool.  If used in its intended manner (ripping big holes in bad guys) I would expect a lot of nasty fall-out.  I don’t know what the military is teaching these days about the use of knives in hand-to-hand combat, but that seems to me to be the best application.  In either case, I think this is an example of some really creative knife design.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    sjstill
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

Thanks!  It will for self defense.  I took an edged weapons class several years ago, and the Pick was all the rage.   Learned Inverted Edge Tactics from George Matheis (Mercop), and the Clinch Pick is perfect for that application.  Only gripe I have about the knife (other than being dull from the factory) is it is small in my hand (I wear XL gloves).

I think the blade is 12C27 Steel.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

If you’re handy in the shop, you might think about making a new set of scales that fit your hand better.  I too, have over-sized hands.  My hands and fingers are XL long, but XXL thick .  Most XL gloves are too tight for me to fit my hand in, so I’ve been making custom handles for handguns and knives for many years.  On full-tang knives like the Clinch Pick, I inlet the tang into the over-sized scales.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.