Advanced Search

she rolled in friday – question

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies she rolled in friday – question

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    tuffy braithwaite
    Participant
    • Topics: 184
    • Replies: 360

got it all mounted up and gave one of mine test knives a spin with the edge.

due to financial set back, i had to start out with the standard WE, so edge is standard.

my question is….the right hand bevel is more than the left side……is that because i used more pressure since i am right handed?

tricky trying both hands at once…wow……:ohmy:
    thanks

Attachments:
    Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

Hi Tuffy!
    Welcome to the fold chum! You will get used to the two handed thing after a bit…the thing about the right hand edge, may well be that you are right handed or your settings may be a slight bit off.Play with it a bit and you will get both sides even…here is where an angle cube helps out. Most of us here have gone on to purchase one and it will make a big difference. Too, many of the guys here have been making slight mods to their kit to make the WEPS even more precise. Read on in the various posts and you will better understand.
    In the end after two years, I have made no mods to my kit and my edges are devilishly sharp in the real world. Some of my edges may be slightly different from the edge on the other side of the blade but not so you could notice in use.
    Best advice…work slowly and follow the advice given by Clay and others here…don’t rush a job and after you raise the all important burr with the coarse paddles, brush the edges with each succeeding paddle/grit like a soft summer breeze…no pressure…same with the strops!

All the best my friend! 🙂
    Leo

due to financial set back, i had to start out with the standard WE, so edge is standard.

my question is….the right hand bevel is more than the left side……is that because i used more pressure since i am right handed?

thanks

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Hey Tuffy,

I’m glad you’re up and running. The edge you created looks great. I think I know what caused the issue with uneven bevels: it looks like the knife is fully flat ground and so is probably leaning to one side in the vise. Please check out this link: (FFG) Fully Flat Ground Blades to see how to set up the knife in the clamp to get it vertical. I hope that helps, would love to hear back from you on your results.

thanks

-Clay

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant

I have cube….also edgepro?
    I have read toooooo much…that is why I have 1…… 🙂

All the best to you also.

Clay
    I will test a few more knives soon…..the one in pic is cheap fish fillet job.
    Thanks

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant

i would love for it to roll back out soon.

anyone need a WE

i do not see a classified section.
    please advise

t

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

We don’t have a classified section, so you can simply ask if anyone wishes to buy your rig from you, but I think the response will be thin.
    I believe you are suffering from buyer’s remorse…a good idea would be to wait a bit and keep on using your WEPS.I hardly think you have given the WEPS a real chance to show its stuff, but the decision is yours to make!
    Best of luck!

Leo

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant

i gave it a much needed workout today, but before i did, i bought two new allen screws for rod angle settings and reversed the rods so they tightern up from the back side – set degree and fine tune with angle job…….good job today – i even did two while sitting in my recliner – kewl.
    thanks

Attachments:
    Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

Good to hear mate! I am happy to see you having success with your WEPS! But wait, you ain’t seen nothin’ yet!! :woohoo:

Cheers
    Leo

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

This is pretty cryptic…

I have a bunch of sharpening systems (including the EP). When I want to put a showpiece edge on a blade that is also extremely sharp, I go to the WEPS. I am talking a real mirror…

Maybe if you could mention what is making you unhappy with your system, somebody here could help you out.

I am sure that there are many that would like to try..

Phil

i would love for it to roll back out soon.

anyone need a WE

i do not see a classified section.
    please advise

t

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant

phil

leo and clay have gotten me back on the right WE track now.

things are rolling along good now.
    thanks for the reply

t

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

Hi Tuffy
    Good to hear things are working better for you now. As the diamond paddles break-in and you get the burr raising and the soft touch with the finer grit paddles as soft as a summer breeze, your edges will startle you with their laser-like sharpness.
    Don’t hesitate to reach out when you need a hand mate! 😉

Leo

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.