Advanced Search

Shaving

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

What is the greatest/largest angle that can give a relatively comfortable facial shave? e.g. Can a refined 40 degree inclusive edge do this? I know straight razor edges are well under 20 degrees inclusive.

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

I give my straight razor to 15*/side … As it has a very thick spin . It may even be more like 17*/side… I’llccheck it withtthe anglec cube next time I sharpen it 🙂

Mikedoh

Unless I’m doing something wrong, 15*/ side = 30* inclusive. When I tip my angle cube to 30*, I measure that your razor spine would be something like 1 & 1/8 inch thick.

Chris
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 351

When I tip my angle cube to 30*,

Make that 15°.

A recent video to explain the function of the angle cube. (smokeeater908)
    aka – RobbieLathem.
    http://wickededgeusa.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=2&id=3469&Itemid=63

Mikedoh

Not sure what you mean Billy. In reference to the spine thickness of the razor, 15 degrees per side x 2 sides = 30 degrees total for the spine thickness. So, if the razor were laying down with spine and edge touching stone as if it were going to be sharpened on a bench stone. And you propped up the angle cube on the spine and the stone, it would measure 30 degrees wouldn’t it?

I see where I went wrong, I was too far out along the edge of the angle cube when I measured for the spine thickness. When I took another look at things and considered the distance from spine to razor edge, the spine thickness is about that of a pencil when cube reads 30 degrees.
    I was inches too far out when I took my initial measurement.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

So, if the razor were laying down with spine and edge touching stone as if it were going to be sharpened on a bench stone. And you propped up the angle cube on the spine and the stone, it would measure 30 degrees wouldn’t it?

No, it would measure 15 degrees. You’re measuring the angle per side. If you laid the razor down, and was able to place the angle cube on the sharpened bevel that was facing up, then it would read 30 degrees.

Mikedoh

I understand that the sharpened side edge would reflect 1/2 of total spine thickness.

I was trying to figure out how thick the would be based on REknives ” thick spine “statement and estimated per side sharpening angle. I see the error in my initial figuring.

All that aside, still wondering what the greatest angle an edge can have and still give a ~ comfortable facial shave. I know edge refine -ment has a large role.

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Well here’s an easy way to calculate the edge angle based off of the thickness of the spine…

Yeah I would say that the refinement of the edge is the biggest factor… 21*/side shouldn’t be an issue, why are you wondering?

Mikedoh

Just curious from cowboy movies etc where shaving is done with their EDC. Wanted to know if it was feasible to have an edge sharp enough for shaving, yet durable enough for EDC.

Thanks for replies thus far, and REKnives please keep me posted on your razor angle.

I get knives plenty sharp and shiny . . .easily shave arm hair . . . But testing on dry facial stubble:woohoo: it shaves, just none too comfortable.
    Maybe I should try a little lather.

Chris
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 351

But testing on dry facial stubble:woohoo: it shaves, just none too comfortable.

So you’re not a “real” cowboy then? 😉

Mikedoh

Never, ever in my life, have I punched a cow :woohoo:

Fred Hermann
    Participant
    • Topics: 30
    • Replies: 188

Not comfortable to shave? You’re obviously not swinging it fast enough…

Gary Crumb
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 119

Next post….”Has anyone got an idea about how to re-attach an ear?”

Fred Hermann
    Participant
    • Topics: 30
    • Replies: 188

Next post….”Has anyone got an idea about how to re-attach an ear?”[/quote]

Crazy Glue of course!
    Stapler?

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I’m a bit late to this subject. But it is also my experience that edge refinement is much more important than the angle. I once sharpened a Laguiole pocket knife at 20 degrees with a progression to 10K Chosera’s, followed by some stropping, and I had quite a smooth shave.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.