Advanced Search

sharping recurve in blade

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Michael Akunowicz
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 1

Schrade SCHF9 has slight recurve in blade can the wicked edge sharpen this blade? if so is there a special way to set it up?

1 user thanked author for this post.
    cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Welcome to the forum.

For a recurve that slight, no special setup required. I like to work recurves in both directions (from the heel out towards the tip, then back in towards the heel), to make sure I cover it completely.

But, from the picture anyway, I don’t see any problem.

Michael Akunowicz
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 1

great thanks for the replay . Can’t wait to receive my wicked edge.

Jamey Howard
    Participant
    • Topics: 12
    • Replies: 63

Just wondering… I know you can buy rounded stones but if you wanted to, could you get away with sharpening curves by tilting the flat diamond stones and using the edges / corners?

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Just wondering… I know you can buy rounded stones but if you wanted to, could you get away with sharpening curves by tilting the flat diamond stones and using the edges / corners?

Not really… you just kinda let them flow in and out of the curve. The edge of the stone is sharp, and there’s no diamonds on the side, so if you tip/tilt it, the corner can dig into the knife. There’s enough contact along the edges of the stone to do the job.

My .02 anyway. 🙂

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Welcome to the forum. Unless all of your knives are recurves I would suggest using the WE first on some easy knives for practice. After a few knives you will get a better feel for the stones and how they move, feel, etc.

A while back I asked about sharpening a Benchmade 710. It has a slight recurve but not severe. Feedback from the forum was it was not a problem with the standard stones. I have not purchased a 710 but it is on my list now that I know the WE can handle it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.