Advanced Search

Sharpening Wusthof kitchen knives with the WE100

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Task Specific Knife Sharpening Cooking Sharpening Wusthof kitchen knives with the WE100

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Dave
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

I am thinking of purchasing the WE100 to sharpen my kitchen knives. I have three Wusthof and one “typical” $150 Japanese knife, certainly nothing fancy, but these knives do for our family of three. The knives are used in a typical family kitchen and used for lots of vegetable and fruit cutting. So my question is if I purchase the WE100, do I need to purchase any other stones like the 800/1000 or leather strops (the WE100 comes with 100/200 and 400/600), or will the 600 be able to finish off the knives for my use?

Jamey Howard
    Participant
    • Topics: 12
    • Replies: 63

Hi flyboy320, welcome to the forum.

There might be different opinions on this from other people but my personal view is that the 100/200 & 400/600 stones will be fine for kitchen use. In fact there have been a couple of times with my cheaper knives when I stopped at 400 or even 200 just to deliberately give the knife a rougher, toothier edge to slice with.

But the beauty of the WE system is that you can add stones later and upgrade parts without having to replace the whole thing, so if you decided you wanted the 800/1000 stones you could just buy them further down the line.

But for the kitchen I think you’ll be very happy with the basic kit, at least to begin with. It’s still better than any other sharpener I’ve ever used. just remember you do need to attach it to some kind of base. You don’t have to buy one yourself, you could make one, but it does need to be bolted down to something heavy in order to work.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Hi Flyboy,

Welcome to the forum!

I second Jamey. You can always add stones later, but many people like a toothy edge. I just gave a standard WE sharpener with 100-600 grit stone to a friend of mine.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Dave
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

Great, thanks for the advice guys, really helps me out… 😉

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.