Advanced Search

Sharpening Scissors

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Sharpening Scissors

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    000Robert
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 406

I was wondering if sharpening scissors with finer grit stones than 1000 grit would be beneficial? I have been just going to 1000 grit stones so far. Does anyone have any actual experience with taking scissors to finer finishes? Thanks.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

From my experience, (which is to say not much) one of the problems I’ve seen with scissors is the material being cut tending to slide away from the point of shear.  This suggests that a “toothier” edge might be better.  I’d stick with the 1000 grit.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    000Robert
    Participant

From my experience, (which is to say not much) one of the problems I’ve seen with scissors is the material being cut tending to slide away from the point of shear. This suggests that a “toothier” edge might be better. I’d stick with the 1000 grit.

That’s kinda what I was thinking. So I figured I would ask you guys before I wasted my time researching it. Thanks.

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

That’s kinda what I was thinking. So I figured I would ask you guys before I wasted my time researching it. Thanks.

I did research it after reading the question posed.  I didn’t find a single article or source that suggested anything finer than 1000 grit.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

1 user thanked author for this post.
    000Robert
    Participant

I did research it after reading the question posed. I didn’t find a single article or source that suggested anything finer than 1000 grit.

Well I meant “experimenting” with it. I guess “researching” was the wrong word to use.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    000Robert
    Participant

I did research it after reading the question posed. I didn’t find a single article or source that suggested anything finer than 1000 grit.

Kyle goes to 1500 grit in his video. I think I’ll go to 1500 next time and check it out.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Mr.Wizard
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 190

If the shears will be used for slide cutting, whether fabric or hair, you may want a polished edge.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    000Robert
    Participant

If the shears will be used for slide cutting, whether fabric or hair, you may want a polished edge.

Thanks. I’ll experiment with different grits and see what they do. I cut fabric occasionally, but I don’t cut hair.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.