Advanced Search

Sharpening chef’s knife

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    vlad8
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 3

How do you clamp the the knife to like the pocket the knifes that are mostly straight:

or you try to match the curves

R. Jeffrey Coates
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 55

I clamp mine “straight” — resting on both “prongs” of the key. I believe one would lose the ability to repeat the sharpening if the depth was not controlled by the key.

I have done several 8″ chef’s knives so far. The bevels are consistent. I use bottom set of holes, at “D.5” 19-22 degrees (German not Asian style knives). It works well.

Nicholas Angeja
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 51

I just had this problem and got schooled pretty well. you need to read this
    And then, check this out

Also, FYI. I just messed up my Macs and a Shun edge because I sharpened then 50/50, and today I spent the day returning them back to a 70/30 bevel, and it was totally worth it!! just a reminder those japanese knives have a asymmetrical edge

vlad8
    Participant
    • Topics: 3

I have read these but chef’s knifes dont look like these knifes straight and then curve. so you just match the curve at the end, they are curved all the way.

Nicholas Angeja
    Participant

I have read these but chef’s knifes dont look like these knifes straight and then curve. so you just match the curve at the end they are curved all the way.

What worked for me was taking a sharpie and coloring the edge, mounting the knife and passing 1000g stone till it removed the sharpie, I then adjusted the distance from the tip to the clap till the WEPS follows the factory bevel. you might have to mount and sharpen in sections if you want to maintain these larger knives or the exact original curved edge, I don’t have any experience with this technique unfortunately.

Robert Nash
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 164

I have read these but chef’s knifes dont look like these knifes straight and then curve. so you just match the curve at the end they are curved all the way.

What worked for me was taking a sharpie and coloring the edge, mounting the knife and passing 1000g stone till it removed the sharpie, I then adjusted the distance from the tip to the clap till the WEPS follows the factory bevel. you might have to mount and sharpen in sections if you want to maintain these larger knives or the exact original curved edge, I don’t have any experience with this technique unfortunately.[/quote]

Hey you guys – and welcome to the forum :cheer: Not sure that I’ve shared a thread with any of you yet or said hello!

Nicholas is correct, while they don’t look the same in shape as the knives in Wicked Edge’s diagram, the technique is the same no matter what the knife shape. You’ll still be watching how the hone removes the sharpie along the full blade length and repositioning based on what it tells you using the sweet spot diagram that he linked to

You shouldn’t have to reposition the knife on this style and length of blade – the settings I use on mine are pretty much what Jeffery has – bottom holes, D and 19-22. – These settings will vary slightly with the curve of the knife but they give you a ball park on where to try your knife as a starting point.

When you do reposition in the sharpening, you need to create an overlap and match your angle to that overlap – to say it another way, when you move the blade the next length you sharpen will include part of the knife you have already sharpened. You’ll match your angle against that already sharpened part using the sharpie, then follow the same sweet spot sharpie technique to get the knife in the right position so that the stones track your knife evenly at that matched angle.

Hope that helps and have a great weekend! B)

Nicholas Angeja
    Participant

If i could just add one more thing….
    Please, Please, Please, don’t sharpen it at 50/50. you’ll get a wicked edge still but the 70/30 is more wicked and absolutely insane. I sharpen my mac’s at about 11 degrees left side and 18 degrees right side, japanese steel is a real beauty because of its hardness.

Nicholas Angeja
    Participant

actually here are some pictures of a brand new mac 120mm pairing knive, look at the heel of the knife and see the 70-30 bevel….. you’ll need to zoom in a little…

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/117901030162516940903/albums/5840435992517325969/5840435999249462402

Robert Nash
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 164

If i could just add one more thing….
    Please, Please, Please, don’t sharpen it at 50/50. you’ll get a wicked edge still but the 70/30 is more wicked and absolutely insane. I sharpen my mac’s at about 11 degrees left side and 18 degrees right side, japanese steel is a real beauty because of its hardness.

Concur! 🙂 That Mac should be lower, and worth at try at 70/30 to see how you like it… Thanks Nicholas

And thanks for sharing the photos too – nice job!

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Nick,

Nice photos! Since I have some Japanese kitchen knives, too: why does a 70/30 bevel work better for you? Is it also related to the geometry of the entire blade?

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Nicholas Angeja
    Participant

I’m still new at this so…. I don’t fully understand the entire theory behind 70/30 grinds but since re-turning my knives back to a 70/30 edge they are insanely sharper and feel as if they stay sharper. The video that made me understand the differences and start to look into it is here

The 70/30 edge is actually ground into the blade when its made/fabricated. I found keeping the factory edge of 70/30 gives me a longer edge retention.

I reassure you the video I posted has lots of information about knife edges and different kind of knife grinds, that’ll give you an awesome basic understanding behind knife edge grinds specifically japanese knives.

Hope this opens pandora’s box for you

B Berger
    Participant
    • Topics: 1

Hi Gents,

Enjoyed reading your posts on this thread.

I have a similar inquiry….

I have two Mac’s – MTH 80 (8″) and the MSK-65 (6.5″)

What I am trying to figure out is:

1. Would these knives be best for a 70/30 profile?
    2. If so, what angle goes on which side?
    3. What angles specifically (in degrees)?
    4. When giving angles, specify from which perspective (in the vise or in hand) you are assigning to Left and Right sides, please!

Thank you all so much!

Best wishes.

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

It is the first I have heard about the 70/30 profile I have mailed MAC to ask since there is no reference to it on their web site. I recently had to repair a MAC I was given it had a huge chip out of the middle of the blade so it took a lot of work re-profing on a Tormek and then since I am waiting for my WE I put a thinning bevel of 10Ëš to the edge then a micro bevel of 15Ëšwhich I then graduated back in 1Ëš steps to 11Ëšthen I honed it on the Tormek leather honing wheel to remove the steps using an EP using 1200 grit for the 15Ëš bevel and the final bevels.
    My experience with any blade except for boning knives or cleavers the cutting edge needs to be as small a bevel as possible try cutting a carrot with a razor sharp axe! So it is vital to have a thinning bevel even my second hand chisel edged Yanagiba has a micro bevel of 30Ëšon it (the main bevel is about 7Ëš).
    Hopefully MAC will reply to my mail to confirm or not the 70/30 ratio it does I have to admit look very good on Nick’s knives although this makes them right / left handed knives so I hope the users are not both right and left handed .
    Here is a picture of my MAC at the tip you can see another bit of the thinning bevel I initially put on with the Tormek since the steel is very hard to work so I thinned the knife freehand on the Tormek before going over it with the EP at 10Ëšetc.

Attachments:
    B Berger
    Participant
    • Topics: 1

Thanks for the info! Let us know what you hear back from them regarding angles and ratios! thanks!

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

Cutting bevels

Kai Shun 16Ëš
    Global 15Ëš

If they are one sided like a Yanagiba or a Deba then the angles are generally double so 30-32Ëšthis is still fine since a lot of European chef knives between 16-18Ëš depending on the thickness and intended use of the blade.
    European knives are around 55 Rockwell hardness whereas Japanese knives are 60-65 Rockwell hardness but they require much more disciplined use since they are more brittle.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.