Advanced Search

Sharpening blade corners

Recent Forums Main Forum Suggestion Box Sharpening blade corners

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Nick Vas
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 3

This design can’t support a sharpening corner on a blade bend. Only in one case, the sharpening corner on a bend of a blade will be equal to a corner on a direct site, is when the radius of a bend is equal to distance from a point of fastening directing to a cutting edge of a rectilinear site on this axis. I offer the designer of this sharpener, to provide in it possibility to change this distance. In details look a photo. Photo

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

This design can’t support a sharpening corner on a blade bend. Only in one case, the sharpening corner on a bend of a blade will be equal to a corner on a direct site, is when the radius of a bend is equal to distance from a point of fastening directing to a cutting edge of a rectilinear site on this axis. I offer the designer of this sharpener, to provide in it possibility to change this distance. In details look a photo. Photo

You “change this distance” by moving the position of the blade forward or back, as oulined in this post…

http://wickededgeusa.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=91:finding-the-sweet-spot-positioning-your-knife-from-front-to-back&catid=38:instructions&Itemid=81

…which will set up the blade to properly sharpen as you head toward the tip! 🙂

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

CBW is exactly right… What I try to do is always make sure that the belly towards the tip of the knife stays as equal of a distance as possible from the pivot point of the base of my rod arms. for example… when I sharpen my para 2, i don’t follow the conventional wisdom of WE users… i actually use the flat spot at the base of the blade and angle it down so that way I end up with the tip being perpendicular to the rod arms.

You also can clamp the knife in the middle of the blade with an equal amount of the curvature of the edge all the way around, but you won’t be resting the spine on the depth pins…

That being said, if you have a large knife/blade (let’s say a junglas), then it will make the rear of the blade slightly more narrow than the tip if you are following the practice i mentioned above. What I have found is that making the tip perpendicular to the rod arms normally occurs when you clamp the knife blade into the vise in about the middle of the blade.

Steven Pinson
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 49

I sharpen many different knives in the WEP sharpener. I have found repositioning the blade in the vise and stitching the edge of them to be part of the sharpening art factor. My knives come out much more exact and more sharp than I can do by hand in a reasonable amount of time. So, like any tool you have to learn how to use it correctly. Just my humble opinion.

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

The short answer is that the WE does not need to be modified to be able to “sharpen corners” on knife edges… it does just fine as is. =)

Nick Vas
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 3

Para 2 has almost ideal radius of a bend of a blade, to sharpen this knife – it gives pleasure.

And how to be with such form of a blade?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.