Advanced Search

Sharpening a Single Bevel

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Robtber
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

I have a newbie question.  I have a Leatherman with a single bevel knife blade (bevel on one side, flat on the other).  Duplicating the angle on the one side shouldn’t present a problem, but I’m wondering how best to remove the burr, since I wouldn’t be sharpening on the other side.

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Welcome to the W.E. forum Robbers,

There are 2 ways I’ve done this.

1. You can set your guide rod angle to the lowest angle you can achieve on the unbeveled side.  Then with an edge leading stroke, that is down and onto the knife edge, pull the 1000 grit (or the finest grit stone you have), down across the burred edge with very light and gentle pressure. You’re just trying to remove the burr with out applying any bevel.  It may be easier to hand-hold the fine stone and pull it across the flat side bevel, edge leading, at as acute an angle as you can, while the knife is still clamped.
    2. You can dismount the knife then apply blue tape to the non-beveled side just right up to below the knife edge.  Then with your 1000 grit stone hand-held, pull the stone with gentle/light pressure across the unbeveled edge as flat against the edge as you can, onto the hand-held knife.  If you prefer, lay the stone flat on your table top, then pull the knife across the stone.

The light edge leading strokes should remove the burr. This may result in a small micro bevel if the angle was too great or the applied pressure to heavy.  You can use a strop across the  unbeveled edge afterwards if you like.  Be sure to clean the knife well before using a strop.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Robtber
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

Many thanks!

Matt
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 6

Hi Robtber,

What is the Leatherman knife model that you are trying to sharpen?  I have a PSTII that I have found to have irregular angles on the blade.  My PSTII has a serrated edge towards the heel, but only a short 1.5-2 inch blade in front of that.  I used a felt pen to identify my angles before starting my sharpening sequence, which really helped keep it looking like it came from the factory.

Matt

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.