Advanced Search

Sharpening a Microtech utx 85 double edge?

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpening a Microtech utx 85 double edge?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Roman Suarez
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 3

hi, y’all!

My friend is wanting me to sharpen his utx85 and I’m just not sure if it’s possible with the WE130. I feel like I could tape up the side I’m not working on, and clamp on the primary bevel while still having enough blade exposed to not hit the clamps with the stone?

Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!

(Example pic is from knifecenter)

Roman Suarez
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 3

I’m not seeing the image. So here it is again

Attachments:
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

I have not experienced sharpening this knife, myself.  Roman, you’ve been around the Wicked Edge System and this Forum for a little while now, so you know, if you can clamp the knife you can sharpen it.  The issue is, can you clamp the knife, in a way, without scratching or damaging the knife sides, that’s repeatable, and will allow you document and to find that same clamping position, to sharpen it again.  This knife looks narrow and tight on the center spine as a clamping position.  My concern would not be hitting the vice with the stones as much as not being able to reach the knife edge and bevels across the entire knife’s length.  This knife may lend itself to using the Tormek small knife jig to clamp it by the handle.  That method is also hard to document it’s position for repeated sharpenings.   It’s an interesting challenge and a pricey knife.  I might just pass on that opportunity seeing the price and to maintain a friendship.  I’d hate to be held responsible for damaging my friends knife.

If it was my own knife I’d give it a shot taping and clamping it on the center spine.  For a friend, I’d rather them have someone they paid to do it be held responsible for unhappy outcomes.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

I agree with Marc on this one. If I were to attempt it I would use the Tormeck knife adapter to clamp it. I wouldn’t worry too much about the ability to document clamping position because it is not your own knife and you’ll probably only have to sharpen it once in a very long while. When you do re-sharpen it you will just have to find the sweet spot again.

These dual edged blades are difficult to sharpen well because they are essentially two separate knives that meet at the tip. You have to sharpen them carefully to get the intersection to look good. The bevel widths have to be nearly identical. I’m not saying you can’t do it, I just wanted you to know what you’re getting into. Microtech offers a sharpening service. You might want to tell your friend to pursue that route if you’re not confident you can do the job to his liking.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Excellent advise from both MarcH and Organic!!  If I were forced into sharpening this knife (as in no factory sharpening available), I’d definitely go the Tormek Small Knife Adapter route.  If I didn’t have that option, or if the knife pivot was too loose to use the TSKA, I’d build up one edge of the blade with aluminum tape to where the clamp could hold it solidly.  That ought to put the exposed edge high enough to clear the clamps.  This is the aluminum foil tape they use for sealing HVAC joints.  It sticks beautifully (absolutely won’t slip) and offers a “bite” for the clamp to grip.  About four layers ought to be enough.  You only need to get enough of the blade into the clamps to prevent rocking of the blade from side to side.  Getting the tape off is a bit of a pain, but it doesn’t leave any trace of its having been applied.

As Organic said, you’ll want to watch the bevel widths to get them to match.  So be sure to measure the bevel width on the first edge before you cover it with aluminum tape and proceed to the other edge.

3 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.