Advanced Search

Sharpening 70/30

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    visbert
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 0

Hello all. I have a set of kitchen knives that have bevels as shown in this photo. It looks like the angles are the same on each side, but are offset from the blade centerline. I’m trying to decide between the WE130 and Gen 3 Pro.  Can they both sharpen this type of edge?  Is one better than the other?  My intuition tells me that angles will need to be adjusted on either side to compensate for the offset, but I don’t know for sure.  Alternatively, can the blade be offset slightly to center the apex of the blade?  Any insight from those in the know would be appreciated.

Attachments:
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

If you are doing a 70:30 edge as shown in the drawing then both units are capable of that. The angles are identical on either side but the blade is intentionally sharpened so that the ratio of bevel sizes is 7:3. You simply need to spend more time working the side with the larger bevel.

That said, if you are trying to do different angles on either side of the knife then the WE130 is the only way to go.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Richard
    Participant
    • Topics: 12
    • Replies: 156

Am I seeing this right?  Looks to me like the DPI are identical, it’s just that more material has been removed from one side.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 36
    • Replies: 1925

Yup, like Organic says.  Spend more time on the side with the wider bevel – for example, do seven strokes on one side and three on the other.  You’ll get approximately the 70/30 ratio you’re looking for.

By the way, the narrow bevel should be on the side opposite of the hand you use to hold the knife.  For a right-handed user, the narrow bevel should be on the left side of the knife as you look down on it as you cut.  Put the narrow bevel on the right side as you look down on the blade in the vise.  Opposite for lefties.  The offset serves to make it easier to cut very thin slices if you’re holding the zucchini with your opposite hand.  Which is always.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    000Robert
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 23

IMHO, It looks like an asymmetrical grind to me. If you keep the stone at the same angle you can sharpen till the cows come home and not get the look like in the photo. You’ll just cut the whole bevel down lower including the edge. To get the more acute angle of the one side of the bevel, you have to use a more acute angle on that side than you use on the other side. That’s the way it looks to me anyways.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.