Advanced Search

Sharpen a Benchmade 710 on WE?

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Specific Discussion Benchmade Sharpen a Benchmade 710 on WE?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Has anyone sharpened a Benchmade 710 on a WE? It has a slight recurve, but nothing severe like a hawk bill type blade. Can you use the standard stones on this?

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Shouldn’t be an issue… I’ve done some Kershaw’s with what looks like more of a recurve, and all I have is the standard stones.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Would a 940 do? Also has a slight recurve, like the 710. No problem on the WEPS.

http://moleculepolishing.wordpress.com/2012/05/03/my-second-knife-on-the-5k10k-choseras/ 🙂

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Robert Nash
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 164

No problem on that gentle curve :cheer: – I’m trying to see if I have a photo of one for you and if I do will post it up.

I even do most Karambits with the diamond plates. The newer plates are better as they have a more rounded edge but you can do a lot of inside curves with the squared edged plates as well (the more acute the sharpening angle the better they work in my experience).

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

It is not the 710, but has more of a recurve, at least from the photos of the 710 that I have found.
    It is a Cold Steel Spartan . I did it with the stock diamonds, choseras and strops.

If you try edge leading strokes, you may have a bit of shaving of the edges on the Chosera stones on tight radius recurves, but nothing serious. If you go edge trailing, you should have no problems at all. With the minor recurve of the 710, it should be no problem either way… I would think.

I think that the Spartan came out very well.

Phil

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Thanks for the feedback. So that I am clear, edge trailing means away from the edge, as in stropping strokes. Edge leading means you are “trying to shave a thin slice off the stone” (as my Dad always put it).

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

You got it! 🙂

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

AMEN !!
    🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.