Advanced Search

Shapton? Where?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Sven Schläfke
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 10

Hi,

I always read about Shapton stones. The ones in the Shop are Chosera but where do you get Shapton and which of both would you prefer? I think Shapton should be better since they are available much finer.

Thanks, Sven.

Ken Buzbee
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 393

As to where, it seems to vary but I think both Ken Scwartz and Steven Pinson (both on this board) have offered them.

As to which is better, there’s some great discussions of the relative merits of Chosera, Superstones, Shaptons here:

http://www.wickededgeusa.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=14&id=6223&Itemid=63

but if you have questions after that I’m sure folks here will take a crack at them. The bottom line is they aren’t better or worse, just different and you pick your stones based on your sharpening goals.

Ken

Sven Schläfke
    Participant

Any idea about the costs and which are available?

Ken Buzbee
    Participant

Any idea about the costs and which are available?

Costs – just depends what you are getting but as a general comment, not cheap 😉

Available – Really varies by what they have in stock. All those choices come in just about any grit you’ll need. I’m sure, if there is a specific grit you need, either could get it for you, but it’ll take time if they aren’t in stock. (order, cutting etc)

Also keep in mine that a custom handle can be configured how you like. In other words a stock Chosera may be 400/600 but you could do a 400/800 skipping the 600 (if you wanted to, just an example, not a suggestion)

Ken

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I got my Shaptons from Ken Schwartz. They were perfectly flat and I can definitely recommend Ken. (For free I got a few hours of Skype calls in which Ken taught me all sorts of things related to sharpening.)

If you are interested in pricing, you can send Ken a mail or a PM.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Jende Industries
    Participant
    • Replies: 342

I know Ken Schwartz has them in stock, as do I. :whistle:

Also, I do believe that Bob Nash from Oldewan Tools has them.

Sven Schläfke
    Participant

Ok, thanks guys, will read a bit more about both types and mail him then.

Ken Schwartz
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 90

Sven,

I’m sending you a PM I have all the Shapton grits in stock for the Wicked Edge. 120 220 320 1k 1.5k 2k 5k 8k 15k 30k. Thanks guys for mentioning me. Sometimes I feel like I’m a well kept secret. I do need to post here more as I have more additional products and compounds available too. Clay is testing one out now that I know he will like 🙂

I also have natural stones and may soon be putting some Nubatama stones cut for the Wicked Edge too. I also have the paddles so I can sell you whatever combination you want as well. This would even include Kangaroo or nanocloth on one side and a fine grit 15k or 30k Shapton on the other for instance. And for those not familiar with my products, I also have an extensive line of compounds in CBN diamond and Alumina as well as diamond films and glass blanks for the Wicked Edge.

Just send me a PM or email to ksskss at earthlink dot net.

Ken

Ken Buzbee
    Participant

Those Nubatama stones sound interesting, Ken. How would you compare them to the Naniwa Superstones? Even more “polishee”?

Ken

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

This may be a bit off topic for a Shapton availability thread…
    But I found this that may interest you Ken:
    http://jendeindustries.wordpress.com/tag/nubatama-stones/

Ken Buzbee
    Participant

Thanks Phil, that was actually the article that framed my question.

If I’m reading correctly, these will be even more toward the polishing side than the Superstones. I can’t see needing anything more oriented to polishing than Superstones for my needs. They shine stuff up just fine.

Ken

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.