Advanced Search

Shapton vs. Chosera WEPS Stones – The Great Debate

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Shapton vs. Chosera WEPS Stones – The Great Debate

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 73 total)
  • Author
    David
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 47

What if we were coming off of the ceramics? Our would it be best to come off the 800/1k WEPS Paddles? I am asking because I have a pro pack on the way and I am looking to possibly compliment it with the ceramics, or possibly some Choceras or Shaptons. I don’t really have a knife that can take a 30k edge right now so I’m not at this time looking ast going that high in the spectrum.

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

As it is though now with the non-drilled I have to really crank the thumbscrews to prevent movement which is why I like setting them once, and am a little hesitant to adjust mid stream.

Same here – I constantly check to see how tightly fastened those screws are. I check and double check! But really, if you’re aware of it, you’ll quickly become “trained” to tighten that screw well. 😆

I hate to admit it, but I use a pair of pliers on the set screws. Nothing sucks worse than having a suspicion that they just shifted on you.

I used to have that problem until I blue Loctite’d the screws. Even if you loosen them, the residual Loctite keeps them from unscrewing after retightening.
    [/quote]

The Blue Loctite sounded great to me so I did a little digging and found there is a Purple Loctite that is meant specifically for holding set-screws and the like…and the screws are not frozen too tightly that you need tools to loosen them .
    Has anyone else heard of this stuff. It is not as common as Blue Loctite.

Leo

Dan
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 84

Yeah, we used it at my old job when we were assembling the instrument panels of ultralight aircraft, for places we couldn’t use self-locking nuts. I also use it on adjustment screws in firearm trigger groups, things that I definitely do NOT want moving, but need to be able to adjust. You’re looking for Loctite 222 or 222MS.

Doug Williams
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 43

Ah! That’s why I like this forum! Thanks Leo and komitadjie. We must search for this mysterious purple compound. Amazon has it. 🙂

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

Ah! That’s why I like this forum! Thanks Leo and komitadjie. We must search for this mysterious purple compound. Amazon has it. 🙂

Yes they do but they were going to charge me $25.00 US to ship me at less than $7.00 tube of it. I shall have to get someone Stateside to buy some for me and ship it at a normal price.

Leo

Doug Williams
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 43

Yes they do but they were going to charge me $25.00 US to ship me at less than $7.00 tube of it. I shall have to get someone Stateside to buy some for me and ship it at a normal price.

Leo[/quote]

Amazon treats our northern friends rather harshly! I always get “free shipping on orders over $25”. I always keep a few things on my wish list so that if I want to order something small I can add more to my order to get the free shipping. Reading the fine print, I guess Amazon doesn’t offer free shipping outside of the U.S. Bummer!

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

Eureka! I found it…Fastenel carries the 222 Purple Loctite. They are located in both the USA and Canada so anyone looking for it, check your browser and see if there is a Fastenel in your city.

Cheers
    Leo

Dan
    Participant

Hey, cool, I didn’t know they were in Canada as well. We have one here in town, along with a Fastener’s Inc. Both of them are darn handy when you need some hardware!

I’m not entirely sure why companies stiff you so much to ship out of the country, even for a heavy item the flat-rate USPS International boxes are typically much cheaper than they charge.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Thanks guys for the tip on the purple Loctite! I just ordered a batch for testing. If it works well, we can add it to our QC process before the sharpeners go out.

-Clay

Dan
    Participant

Sweet, talk about ‘continual improvement’ right there! I’m not sure, I’ll have to check, but there might be thumbscrews available with the nylon self-holding patch as well.

Dan
    Participant

Well, Ken got my blank paddles in yesterday! Hopefully I’ll have the 1K/2K set some time in the next couple weeks, right about when the 800/1K is supposed to show up. THEN I’ll actually be able to get some edges on it! In the next few weeks I’ll be having Ken make me up the 5K/8K on the other set of blanks I ordered… THAT should put a respectable edge on for sure!

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

Way to go Dan! You will be turning out edges that border on atomic quality…little mushroom clouds forming over the edges as they slice and chop!! :woohoo: Scary!

Cheers
    Leo

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Awesome! I can’t wait to hear your results.

-Clay

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

Thanks guys for the tip on the purple Loctite! I just ordered a batch for testing. If it works well, we can add it to our QC process before the sharpeners go out.

You are welcome Clay! I will be getting some of the purple Loctite this week so I can reverse my paddle arms with impunity. Did you order from Amazon or Fatenel’s Clay? I think including it in your QC is a wonderful idea. The stuff will be great for both reversing the paddle arms or just for when they are being used normally…no more screws slipping out of place.

Cheers
    Leo

Dan
    Participant

Ken shipped the first pair off my way last Saturday, so I’ll probably have a chance to play with them mid-week. Really looking forward to it!

I’ll have to snag some of the 222MS from the back here and give it a try myself.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 73 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.