Advanced Search

Shapton Pro Stones

Recent Forums Main Forum Suggestion Box Shapton Pro Stones

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    jayhwker01
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 4

Hello,

I’ve ran across some shapton pro stones for sale. Does anyone recommend these? Or are they a headache to use?

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

jayhwer01:  I am a fan of Shapton Pro stones, mounted on Wicked Edge paddles.  I enjoy using them.  I think they are great. They are a true splash and go stones.  Just spritz them with a little water and have at it.  They don’t require you to make a mud slurry like Chosera’s do to get them to cut.  Shaption’s are like using W.E. diamond stones just with a water spray.  Shapton’s produce a very even regular, consistent, and predictable scratch pattern.  I believe since you use them slightly wet it cools and lubricates the steel you’re sharpening.  They work very well on expensive hard stainless steels.  I believe they help keep down steel chipping or micro-chipping, (seen with those steels sharpened with diamond stones), to a minimum, when you learn how to use them well.

That being said, the Shapton stones are a consumable sharpening stone.  They do wear and dish, as they are used.  To maintain flatness you will have to use a diamond lapping stone to smooth and level them every few sharpenings or when you see they require it.  Because you lap the stones, the softer lower grit Shaptons will wear quicker than the harder higher /finer grit stones, so with use the stones dimensions will change.  This requires you to be more attentive to your sharpening angles and adjust them with each shapton stone grit change.

Being a man-made ceramic sort of composite the Shaptons can break or chip if dropped.

Be sure of the condition of what you buy.  Old stones wear and get thinner reducing their life expectancy.  Be sure they are flat and even thickness across the length.  To even them out requires removing more material to get the thickness uniform further reducing their lifespan.  Also those shaptons assembled and sold several years ago many be slightly narrower than more recent made and assembled Shaptons.

Check out Bob at Oldawan to compare the price of new VS used just to be sure of the value.  Feel free to private message me if you want more information about using the Shapton Stones.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    NotSharpEnuff
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 120

jayhwer01:  I have been looking for Shapton Pro stones for the WE but came up empty.  Last time I talked to Bob at Oldawan.com he only had Chosera stones for WE.  He sent me a loaner set to try and I ended up buying the 800,1000,2000,3000,5000, and 10000.  I second what MarcH says: They work very well on expensive hard stainless steels.  I believe they help keep down steel chipping or micro-chipping, (seen with those steels sharpened with diamond stones), to a minimum, when you learn how to use them well. 

I now only use the Chosera stones on my kitchen knives.  I have a sharpnes tester and it proved that the edge was ~100 grams sharper.  Diamond grits were coming in about 240-300 and the Chocera edge is about 130-140.  Not only sharper but a much more consistent edge along the knife.

I’m still in the market for the Shapton Pros if you find a seller with new stones not used.

Ed K.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

When I read what Ed posted,  I was upset to hear the unavailability of the Pro Stones.  I fired off an email to Bob at Oldawan for clarification.  Not intending to cause dissent in the forum but just to clear the facts.  Here is Bob’s reply:

Thanks for catching that Marc
    I do have the Pro’s available for sale still for the WEPS.  I’m not stocking all the grits as they move so slowly but I can get the full line still
    Correct that the Shapton’s Glass Stones, only, are discontinued now but I do have a few grits of those left as well
    Hope all is well sir!
    Bob
    Oldawan Tools to Stay Sharp!
    StaySharp@Oldawan.com
    http://www.Oldawan.com
    505-570-2040
    I hope this clears it up:  Only the Shapton’s Glass Stones were discontinued.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

1 user thanked author for this post.
    NotSharpEnuff
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 120

Thanks MarcH, I was looking for the Shapton Glass stones and not the Shapton Pro stones.  Sorry for causing any confusion.

Ed K.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.