Advanced Search

Shapton Glass Stones for Wicked Edge

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Does anyone have experience with these Shapton Glass Stones. I have and use the Shapton Pro Stones but know nothing about the new Glass stones. Any insight, (other then they’re pricey), is appreciated.

Marc

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I have some of them. They work very well, but they’re wetstones, so they have some disadvantages. They produce slurry, so it may become messy. And they get progressively thinner, so you always need to use an angle cube. Other than that they’re great stones. But in practice I use the diamond stones and films far more. These are faster, too (although the Shapton stones are fast for whetstones).

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Marc H

Thanks for your experience Mark76. Aren’t your Shaptons Pro Stones (the different color wetstones)? I remember you were trying to sell them a while back? I’m looking into the new Shapton Glass Stones: http://www.oldawan.com/sharpening-system-accessories/edge-pro-accessories/shapton-glass-stones-handle-sets-for-the-wicked-edge/

Thanks, Marc

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I’ve used the glass stones. They’re very good. We don’t carry them because the cost is so high that we’d have to charge a fortune for them so it’s just better for the customers to get them elsewhere, either from Oldawan or Jende.

-Clay

Marc H

Clay, can elaborate similarities and differences between the newer Shaptons Glass Stones and the older Shaptons Pro Stones. I’m wondering do they cut better than the Pro stones with a finer scratch pattern? Do they dish the same as the Pro Stones requiring lapping to flatten them? Any experience you can share is appreciated. I can’t find a review of them on the web, just ordering opportunities. Thanks

Marc

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Yeah, I sold my pro stones. But I’ve got a few glass stones left. It’s hard to compare them after so long, but they sharpen pretty similar.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

1 user thanked author for this post.
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Clay, can elaborate similarities and differences between the newer Shaptons Glass Stones and the older Shaptons Pro Stones. I’m wondering do they cut better than the Pro stones with a finer scratch pattern? Do they dish the same as the Pro Stones requiring lapping to flatten them? Any experience you can share is appreciated. I can’t find a review of them on the web, just ordering opportunities. Thanks Marc

I think the glass stones cut a little more quickly and wear more slowly than the Pro stones but I’m not an expert on either. You do need to flatten them but not as frequently since they dish less.

-Clay

Pinkfloyd
    Participant
    • Topics: 22
    • Replies: 208

I have used SG on the EdgePro. Feedback while sharpening is less than diamonds. They do dish but very slowly. The 30K SG is $249.95, a little steep for me.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.