Advanced Search

Shapenning secateur’s (pruners)

Recent Forums Main Forum Shapenning secateur’s (pruners)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Needhelp
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 0

Hi just wondering if anyone has any experience sharpening secateur blades (prunner blades) as in the good brands like Felco or bahco with the removable replaceable blades. I was just wondering if it is possible to sharpen them with the wickededge if so any suggestions how.

Attachments:
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Welcome to the Forum, Needhelp.  I have not. It’s hard to tell from the file you attached the actual size of the blade or thickness.  I can say if you can clamp that blade in a Wicked Edge System vice, securely, in a symmetrical arc, balanced from side to side, I don’t see why you couldn’t put an edge on it.  It appears as a regular curved shaped blade and the beveled edge doesn’t appear different than any other blade.  It doesn’t look too difficult from what I can see. There certainly appears to be a large enough flat spot to get a secure purchase on the blade in order to sharpen it.

I would attempt to clamp it centered so it is symmetrical on either side, as high up as possible while still clamping the blade flat area securely so it doesn’t move in the vice while sharpening it.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

• This reply was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by Marc H.
    3 users thanked author for this post.
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I agree with Marc.  There doesn’t seem to be any reason why this blade wouldn’t work with any of the WE configurations.  Marc mentions clamping the blade as high as possible.  This would depend a bit on the desired angle.  Mounting high is suggested to minimize the variation in angle while working such a short-radius circular blade, but I’m not sure that it’s really necessary.  Any blade with a circular edge, like an ulu, should be clamped with the centerline of the circle vertical and centered in the vise.  This distributes any angular variation equally from heel to tip.

I’ll be interested to know what the factory bevel angle is.

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.