Advanced Search

Screw that Secures the Free Vise Jaw

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance Screw that Secures the Free Vise Jaw

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    nudood
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 4

I’m having an issue with the screw that secures the free vise jaw. It’s protruding through the movable vise jaw and preventing me from using a shallow angle because the stone on that side of the vise is hitting the screw, rather than the knife blade. It’s happening when I try to go to 15 degrees. Should I not be going that shallow?

Thanks

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Hey nudood:

Here’s a few things you can try…

You can, as you say, just go up a degree, you probably wouldn’t notice a difference using the knife.

If you’re just barely scraping it, you can try not making the top screw quite so tight, and use the bottom screw a little extra to tighten the clamp on the knife.

Some members have purchased a shorter screw to use on thin knives. (I don’t have the size in front of me.)

Hopefully, one of these will work for you.

Fred Hermann
    Participant
    • Topics: 30
    • Replies: 188

So just to check, you’re using the short screw on top, longer underneath correct?
    Also, are you using a PP2, or just the WEPS with the stock arms?
    One thing to consider also, how deep are you putting the blade in the vise? That can make a huge difference, just make sure you put some tape on the vise so you don’t scrape it like I did.
    And of course, let us know your results.

Gary Crumb
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 119

If you’re not already using something, a piece of chamois or cloth lining the vice, as if you wanted to protect the spine of the blade, might help get the vice jaws a little wider so you can clear the screw.

Chris
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 351

Some members have purchased a shorter screw to use on thin knives. (I don’t have the size in front of me.)

The original top screw is 1/4″ x 5/8″, get another one that is 1/4″ x 1/2″.
    Mine is a 316 stainless MT(machine turned), countersunk, flat head socket cap screw.
    Pretty sure it’s 1/4-20 UNC thread, Clay may confirm this for me?

We love metric here in Aus.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Affirmative, it’s 1/4-20

-Clay

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Thanks Chris. Looks like you got it.

The other ideas for avoiding the screw are good too.

Whatever method you use, make a note of it, so you can repeat as needed. 🙂

Chris
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 351

Thanks Chris. Looks like you got it.

The other ideas for avoiding the screw are good too.

Whatever method you use, make a note of it, so you can repeat as needed. 🙂

All good advice, as usual.

nudood
    Participant

You can, as you say, just go up a degree, you probably wouldn’t notice a difference using the knife.

That was my “workaround.”

If you’re just barely scraping it, you can try not making the top screw quite so tight, and use the bottom screw a little extra to tighten the clamp on the knife.

That was my second “workaround.”

That was my long term plan.

So just to check, you’re using the short screw on top, longer underneath correct?

Yes, that’s one of the first things that I checked.

Also, are you using a PP2, or just the WEPS with the stock arms?

PP2

One thing to consider also, how deep are you putting the blade in the vise? That can make a huge difference, just make sure you put some tape on the vise so you don’t scrape it like I did.

I used the top holes in the vise. The knife that I had the issue with is an A.G. Russell Woodswalker. http://www.agrussell.com/product.asp?pn=AGPRS It’s a small blade, about 2 3/8″ long and only 3/4″ at the widest, tapering to a point. Great little steak knife.

If you’re not already using something, a piece of chamois or cloth lining the vice, as if you wanted to protect the spine of the blade, might help get the vice jaws a little wider so you can clear the screw.

I’m padding the vise with orange painter’s tape. No scratches so far. I tried some chamois but the knife moved in the vise. On YouTube I saw someone using aluminum tape, anyone using that?

Thanks for all the suggestions, I appreciate it. I think a shorter screw is the long term answer,

Clay, any chance you’ll supply one? That way it would still be part of the set that would work with the supplied wrench.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Clay, any chance you’ll supply one? That way it would still be part of the set that would work with the supplied wrench.

Yes. Please give Kyle a call at 877-616-9911 or shoot him an email to kyle@wickededgeusa.com and he can take care of you.

-Clay

nudood
    Participant

Clay, I just got off the phone with Kyle, per your advice. He’s sending me the entire set of screws so that I’ll have all of them. He didn’t even need my shipping info, still got it on file, and recognized my name from a couple of phone conversations that wead.

What FANTASTIC customer service!

Thanks tons.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.