Advanced Search

saturday’s fare went well – nice knives – 1 Helle

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpening as a Business saturday’s fare went well – nice knives – 1 Helle

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    tuffy braithwaite
    Participant
    • Topics: 184
    • Replies: 360

Knife gig went pretty smooth today. All knives came in groups of 2 or so and 2 lots of 3 each.

Smooth sailing like that. – total for the day: 14 on site and 5 for homework.

You will see two really nice older knives from one of my Norwegian customers – I likem.

One is old Puma skinner and one is Helle. – not sure what model it is, but it is kewl ticket.

See you thur. at whole foods gig. – Vid is like a shade over 15 Mins.

Good luck to everyone

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570
    Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Tuffy, another great video. I think you are just a natural born salesman. You just seem to have a great way with people! I would enjoy watching more of you interacting with your customers! I always get at least one good laugh per video. 😆

ps, thanks for the uline box lead.

Bill
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 20

I have an off subject question, but do not want to start a new thread…This is for every one who does a farmers market or any out door venue…..Are you required to have liability insurance?…What limits are you required to carry?…How much/year?…Company that you insure with?….Thanks to all who respond….Bill

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570
    tuffy braithwaite
    Participant

got those two norweigan knives ready now – 1 is a very kewl ticket tooo.
    see email from Helle.
    Hello Tuffy
    This is an old knife named “Dyre Vaa” produced early 1980´s. It is no longer in our production and unfortunately we have no Dyre Vaa in stock.
    Best regards,
    AS Helle Fabrikker
    v/Solbjørg Vik
    6982 HOLMEDAL

i like that Dyre Vaa – sharp tooo

Attachments:
    Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

Sure is a beut it is a good polishing job. If the owner can be bothered tell him to get some neatsfoot oil to treat the leather the oils just feeds the leather one application shouldn’t even change the colour.Neartsfoot oil is made from cows I imagine it is some sort of refined oil from the stock its fantastic for leather I use it on my leather work especially when I make sheathes or knife cases .

The smaller case is for a Leatherman folder & the bigger one is for a Myerchin .

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant

Sure is a beut it is a good polishing job. If the owner can be bothered tell him to get some neatsfoot oil to treat the leather the oils just feeds the leather one application shouldn’t even change the colour.Neartsfoot oil is made from cows I imagine it is some sort of refined oil from the stock its fantastic for leather I use it on my leather work especially when I make sheathes or knife cases .

The smaller case is for a Leatherman folder & the bigger one is for a Myerchin .

i had to google myerchin.

what is next to it a marlin spike?

Leo Barr
    Participant

Yes you are right it is a smallish marlin spike with a flat tapered point designed to aid splicing , tighten knotting when used as a lever to jerk with , to undue large shackles and this particular style the point is used to separate the lay of wire ropes when hand splicing them to create eyes around thimbles or large loops (soft eyes ) to pass over spars.
    http://www.csosborne.com/leather_1.html who make the best leather tools do them in various sizes from 6 inches to two foot long some of the older spikes were made of LIgnum Vitae and were used for none wire splicing.
    Ropework & splicing is another of my passions my bible for this is the “Ashley Book of Knots” it is a tome that contains just about all there is on knotting.
    Boye knives are supposed to be the best knives for sailers I have never seen on in the flesh ; they are not cheap.
    Has anyone used these?
    http://www.knifeart.com/basic3.html

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant

Yes you are right it is a smallish marlin spike with a flat tapered point designed to aid splicing , tighten knotting when used as a lever to jerk with , to undue large shackles and this particular style the point is used to separate the lay of wire ropes when hand splicing them to create eyes around thimbles or large loops (soft eyes ) to pass over spars.
    http://www.csosborne.com/leather_1.html who make the best leather tools do them in various sizes from 6 inches to two foot long some of the older spikes were made of LIgnum Vitae and were used for none wire splicing.
    Ropework & splicing is another of my passions my bible for this is the “Ashley Book of Knots” it is a tome that contains just about all there is on knotting.
    Boye knives are supposed to be the best knives for sailers I have never seen on in the flesh ; they are not cheap.
    Has anyone used these?
    http://www.knifeart.com/basic3.html%5B/quote%5D
    I only have bad memories of using a marlin spin, but i did for many years. you and i have many things in common it seems.
    in the late 70’s and mid 80’s i was a commercial fisherman. had many boats of different sizes and shapes. spent way toooo much time away from home fishing for fluke, black sea bass and squid in the offshore deep.

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant

i forgot one pic leo

Attachments:
    Leo Barr
    Participant

Great pictures happy memories it looks a bit choppy on the beach.Looks like you had a good catch with your father rod still in hand.
    The sea unites I have been a yacht sailer my father was fortunate enough to own and campaign offshore racing yachts . I taught navigation on offshore sailing for a time. Then I worked on Creole Mr Guccis’s Yacht a 65 metre staysail 3 masted schooner and the best was a 75ft gaff rigged cutter built in 1898 it had no engine no winches just tackles and brute strength whilst I was with her we did two Nioulargues at St Tropez – the festival of sail -classic yacht racing the last of the med season having done regattas at Imperia ,Nice, Cannes Antibes .
    I like been on the water but now on my terms not someone else’s.

A mat consisting of six hitches

The lanyard to my ditty bag

Some fun with lanyard knots

I often do splices and occasional leatherwork for people I also like hand stitching canvas .

Leo Barr
    Participant

Great pictures and nice diamond knots

The diamond knots are used as button knots on soft eyes which are used instead of shackles to save weight this one has a breaking strain of something like 5000 kilos it is made of dymnema hollow braid line so these only take about 15 minutes to make or less if you make them all the time.

Attachments:
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.