Advanced Search

Saturday the 15th at the farmers fare

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    tuffy braithwaite
    Participant
    • Topics: 184
    • Replies: 360

Well the fair started out pretty good today – got two knives right off the bat and then things slowed down, so I took a stroll around the fare. That must have been the trick.
    Here come the garden trimmer cutters and knives. – 10 knives for the day and 5 sets of shears of some sort.—-all in all a good day and the fare had a great day also.
    First 3 knives I did completely with 400/600 and up to coarse ceramics and those, I started using the 200 paddles and then to the 400/600. I was much faster today – thanks everyone for all your help.
    Later today or tonight, I will stick that broken tip knife out for comments on the best way to re-shape the tip. I know how I would do it, but at times I am crude and I do not want Curtis to Pause again.
    Vid is rather long – 18 mins + today – see you soon – good luck

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Later today or tonight, I will stick that broken tip knife out for comments on the best way to re-shape the tip. I know how I would do it, but at times I am crude and I do not want Curtis to Pause again.

🙂

So, how close is my suggestion to what you would do?

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant

different………….but i like your plan better – looks nicer.

i would have just started at the spine and grown back to the tip – like maybe 45* or so.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

After seeing it in the video… you could just do a spine side repair…

I think either way would work well.

Attachments:
    Jende Industries
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 342

That’s a great video, Max! B) You have a wonderful demeanor with your customers. I can see why you’re so busy!

The apple spice cake is worth more than money sometimes 🙂 At these markets, I would totally work for food! B)

As for the tip repair, I like the idea of bringing the spine down to meet the tip, as you have drawn with the blue line. Be sure to get us an after picture!

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

Great video and it looks as if you have a comfortable set up for Saturdays. I like your idea for promoting your service – free knife the customer pays for the sharpening I imagine its a good way to both get and maintain new customers. The idea has the right amount of free about it when I first started with an Edge Pro I would do the first knife for free but I think this can make one look to hungry for customers or you just get people that want something for nothing.
    I shall look at seeing if I can find some old cheap knives at one of the Saturday markets and try your excellent idea if I may.
    I have a WE pro 11 bundle on order I think now just under a week so I am waiting and been patient to receive it although it has a long way to come and clear Spanish customs so I imagine it will be in the region of 6 weeks from when it is despatched to when I get it.

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

What are you sharpening the scissors & shears on ? Are you using your Edge pro for that?
    It will be good once WE has all the answers; scissors including hairdressing scissors turn out well on the EP(especially with the polishing tapes) although in the interest of portability it will be great when both scissors & serrated knives (bread knives Leatherman etc which I do on a Spyderco Sharpmaker) can all be done on the WE and perhaps axes as well.
    I am sure WE will address all of these issues in the not too distant future.

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant

What are you sharpening the scissors & shears on ? Are you using your Edge pro for that?
    It will be good once WE has all the answers; scissors including hairdressing scissors turn out well on the EP(especially with the polishing tapes) although in the interest of portability it will be great when both scissors & serrated knives (bread knives Leatherman etc which I do on a Spyderco Sharpmaker) can all be done on the WE and perhaps axes as well.
    I am sure WE will address all of these issues in the not too distant future.

My event license only allows me to render a service, so i am not allowed to sell anything – over the years i have gathered up many knives from here and there……so i give them away and hope i get a sharpening service out of them……in 6 sat’s i have sharpened 5 – already sharp, i just strop for few minutes……..2 to 3 bucks max. amount
    scissors – not hard to sharpen by hand – i use EP 600 paddle and end with 800 most of the time.
    shears – i use cordless drill with sharpening stone (round) – on small ones, i use hand file and 800 paddles – on some larger ones, i have used the 80 and 200 paddles.
    i use the EP polishing tapes alot on the WE – i just stick to fine side of ceramic paddles and go to town with them – i like the polishing tapes and i really want to get some of those diamond lapping film from lee valley and try some of those also…..they sound pretty nice.

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant

well here it is.
    thanks everyone

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Nice job! Love the blade shape!!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

X2

Jende Industries
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 342

Nice job! B)

Jed Bowen
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 57

My event license only allows me to render a service, so i am not allowed to sell anything – over the years i have gathered up many knives from here and there……so i give them away and hope i get a sharpening service out of them……in 6 sat’s i have sharpened 5 – already sharp, i just strop for few minutes……..2 to 3 bucks max. amount
    scissors – not hard to sharpen by hand – i use EP 600 paddle and end with 800 most of the time.
    shears – i use cordless drill with sharpening stone (round) – on small ones, i use hand file and 800 paddles – on some larger ones, i have used the 80 and 200 paddles.
    i use the EP polishing tapes a lot on the WE – i just stick to fine side of ceramic paddles and go to town with them – i like the polishing tapes and i really want to get some of those diamond lapping film from lee valley and try some of those also…..they sound pretty nice.[/quote]

I was selling knives that I had sharpened too but I also went through and sanded down the scales until they were even and revealed the nice wood under all the gunk and grime. Second is a coating of polyurethane with a 4 hour dry time and a 220 wet sanding then a final coat of polyurethane and then hit it with the WE. I call it recycling and giving the old knives a second chance. The farmers market is alright with that. seeing how people make bird bathes out of terracotta planters and such it only seems fair to allow sales of a “recycled” knife. Max I do like the free knife sign and may see if I can get some more sales that way because people always like deals.
    I have to brag a bit on this as I get the knives from yard sales and the thrift stores at about .25 each, clean the blades up with some barkeepers helper to make the blades shine again then finish the scales as above and sell them for $8 to $10 each depending on the size of the knife.

Mark Massie
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 37

Looks Great!

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant

and sanded down the scales until they were even and revealed the nice wood under all the gunk and grime. Second is a coating of polyurethane with a 4 hour dry time and a 220 wet sanding then a final coat of polyurethane and then hit it with the WE. I call it recycling and giving the old knives a second chance. The farmers market is alright with that. seeing how people make bird bathes out of terracotta planters and such it only seems fair to allow sales of a “recycled” knife. Max I do like the free knife sign and may see if I can get some more sales that way because people always like deals.
    I have to brag a bit on this as I get the knives from yard sales and the thrift stores at about .25 each, clean the blades up with some barkeepers helper to make the blades shine again then finish the scales as above and sell them for $8 to $10 each depending on the size of the knife.[/quote]
    all mine were thrift store knives……..same price as u paid……i clean all handles with wire wheel -nothing beyound that – average sharpening price is 3.00 bucks – all sharp,…….i used them for pratice when i got my EP and WE sometime back….. i just strop them.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.