Advanced Search

S30 V

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Diagnosing these are sometimes hard to pin down, so I’ll just throw a few things out..

S30V doesn’t polish well for me… always seems to have a misty or hazy look to it.

I think Phil is right, you should lower the angle. 21 almost 22 deg. seems a bit high. I stuck an unsharpened Griptilian in the clamp this a.m….. the edge was between 17-18 deg. Not to say yours couldn’t have been a higher angle… but I would double check this.

I’ve noted that S30V can sometimes develop a wire edge that is hard to detect until you do some actual cutting… it’s strong enough to survive light testing, but the edge will quickly dull or “roll” in use. It also won’t get as sharp (my guess is it slighty “bends away” from the abrasive as your sharpening or stropping). What I do to get rid of it, is, after sharpening but before stropping, is set a higher angle, 4-5 deg. per side, and lightly, with the finest stone or ceramic I have, make a couple of light edge leading strokes per side to get rid of it. Then return to the original sharpening angle make 1-2 light strokes, then strop or finish the blade however you want. The goal is not to create a microbevel… just clean up the edge.

Keep us posted!

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

Thanks for all your input gentlemen. I’ll post more after I’ve fiddled with it some more, may be a few days, have some unexpected things that require attention.

As to my edge angle and what I might do to harm it with a smaller angle. Heaven only knows, I have made a “few” less than wise choices. The difference in sharpeness between other knives and the s30v steel , is that the others layed flat on the arm and moved with no pressure effortlessly cut hair, while the s30 wants a greater angle and some pressure.

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

Took a look at the edge with a loop. Looks fine. See no burr. Will re sharpen at some lesser angle when I get the chance and post results.

It is sharp, just “not as” other steel given the same course of stones.

Thanks for all replies

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

Maybe just the nature of the beast…
    We tend to get very critical after using the WEPS for awhile.

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Just finished a Benchmade 940 in S30V. Used diamonds, then Choseras 400-3k. Finished with strops 5m to 0.5. The polish and edge are excellent, very sharp. The polish is not as bright as other steels. But I am impress with how sharp it is. The polish is about mirror, just not super reflective. I will be curious to see how it holds up.

In the end I am pleased, but still wouldn’t call S30V my favorite steel.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.