Advanced Search

Rod/Stone Rest

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ron
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 4

Has anyone fabricated a soft rest of sorts for their rods and/or stones? That is, along the back or rear of the base. The Commercial unit comes with something like this from WE. However, WE does not offer anything for the WE130 or similar units. I have a granite base on my WE130. So drilling is a bit of a challenge. There is a need for this rest evidenced in many videos including those done by WE. Although I have never damaged anything, occasionally I just get carried away and clunk the stones and/or rods down a little too hard.  I want to avoid problems. Having a raised area with a soft neoprene, rubber, etc. pad across the back of the base would really help. Please let me know your thoughts & suggestions.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by Ron.
    airscapes
    Participant
    • Topics: 19
    • Replies: 367

Yep, have seen them in peoples photos.. Marc has something on his setup I am sure he will post a pic.   In the mean time have you search the MOD forum .. You are correct about the need, especially with the 12″ or longer rods.  I recently got a granite base to replace the DIY wooden base, I really like the weight but the fact you can not alter it is a drawback.

This post just gave me an idea.  The base I have is on fairly tall silicon feet.  I think a piece of 1/2 plywood may fit between the feet and the table.  This could be attached with longer WE mounting bolts and extend out the back for accessory mounting.   A 1/8 inch piece  of steel or aluminum would probably be better than wood.. but more costly and harder to source.  Since I don’t have a dedicated work place making the mount larger would mean finding a new container to store everything in..   Sorry for the ramble but if I don’t write it down I forget 😉

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Ron
    Participant

I am new to this forum. So my search skills are just being developed. I did try to search but could not find anything that helped. I’ll try again. Thanks again for your thoughts.

airscapes
    Participant
    • Topics: 19
    • Replies: 367

Here is one options https://knife.wickededgeusa.com/forums/topic/mods-lets-see-em/page/4/#post-23657

It is in this big old thread, probably more.. just gota click through and see

https://knife.wickededgeusa.com/forums/topic/mods-lets-see-em/page/4/

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by airscapes.
    3 users thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

I have used both the foam insulation tubes sold for covering your central air conditioner high pressure copper tube and swimming pool noodles for that application.

Here’s an older picture of my WE130 setup. I have both padded elbow rests and a padded back stop.   The towel covering my set-up is because I was sharpening with Whetstones and a water spritz that day I took the photo:

Foam-Bolsters-Side-View

Marcs-modded-WE130-extreme-angle-capabaility

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Attachments:
    5 users thanked author for this post.
    Ron
    Participant

Thank you. I’m not sure why my search did not yield these results. Nonetheless, they are very useful.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.