Advanced Search

Rigotti Knives and Chatter

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Reed Knives Rigotti Knives and Chatter

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Thanks mucho!!

Robert Huffman
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 8

Mark – it seems the Rigotti’s are made with a brittle steel. Some of my older Rigottt’s will sharpen with diamond stones but the newer ones simply won’t. The knife Clay sharpened was the worst of the bunch – I called it my ‘chatter-baby’. Many oboists however use the knives and it was critical to find a solution.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Did some more work on these knives today and took pictures at 800x:

I sharpened the knife with the following progression: 2k/3k and 5k/10k Choseras followed by the 1um Diamond and Leather Strops.

-Clay

Robert Huffman
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 8

Clay – I was delayed getting out of town and was very excited to see the package from WE – just arrived this afternoon.

I took a look at the blades and tried them out this evening. They are absolutely fantastic!!

My one concern is how they would respond to the steel. As we discussed – I used a steel often to reset the burrs as the cane dulls the edge immediately. I am very happy to report that there was no problem with resetting the burr on the steel. Was very concerned that the steel would cause chattering – but thankfully – no.

Last night I started two new reeds and they gave me quite a bit of trouble. With the knives you sharpened they shaped right up with very additional little work. There is a saying that three secrets of a good reed are 1) a sharp knife 2) a sharp knife and 3) a sharp knife.

Thanks so much for taking the time with these knives. Can’t wait for my Chosera’s to arrive!

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I’m glad to hear it! I think you’ll love the Choseras.

Clay – I was delayed getting out of town and was very excited to see the package from WE – just arrived this afternoon.

I took a look at the blades and tried them out this evening. They are absolutely fantastic!!

My one concern is how they would respond to the steel. As we discussed – I used a steel often to reset the burrs as the cane dulls the edge immediately. I am very happy to report that there was no problem with resetting the burr on the steel. Was very concerned that the steel would cause chattering – but thankfully – no.

Last night I started two new reeds and they gave me quite a bit of trouble. With the knives you sharpened they shaped right up with very additional little work. There is a saying that three secrets of a good reed are 1) a sharp knife 2) a sharp knife and 3) a sharp knife.

Thanks so much for taking the time with these knives. Can’t wait for my Chosera’s to arrive!

-Clay

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.