Advanced Search

resin bonded diamond stones?

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Abrasives resin bonded diamond stones?

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    MarcH
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2733

I’m still very very curious if these bonded matrix stones are still in your mix @MarcH. happy thanksgiving, and let us know your current thoughts on this set-up!

Yes, the Resin-bonded Diamond Matrix Stones are still in my arsenal.  I can’t report any more details then I already posted earlier in this thread.

These Resin-Bonded Diamond Matrix stones have their pros and cons:

Pros:

• they don’t have any real break-in
    • they don’t shed diamond dust like the W.E. stones do (during beak-in)
    • they work very similarly to the W.E. diamond stones laying down similar predictable and  consistent scratch patterns, comparing grit to grit
    • it is a fun do-it-yourself home project to make these stone sets
    • they fit and work well with the W.E. set-ups
    • they are slightly larger in stone surface area
    • they yield sharpening results just like those from the W.E. Diamond stones

Cons:

• they are an expensive project/investment
    • you have to order and purchase these already-made stones then modify them to apply them on W.E. paddles
    • these stone sets will have no warranty because they are a modified custom project
    • these stones are non-magnetic so you can’t use a magnetic angle cube as simply as you do with the magnetic W.E. diamond stones
    • these stone sets are not maintenance free; they will need lapping when worn or dished
    • these Matrix stone sets are slightly larger and somewhat heavier in the hand, to work with them
    • these Matrix stones sets do not yield sharpening results, (when used similarly to the W.E. set), that are noticeably improved or really any different than the results from well broken-in W.E. Diamond stones to justify the expenditure and the work to make these
    • they are another set of stone handles you’ll need to make room for in your collection or storage rack
    • at times, you may still need alternative sharpening mediums when diamond stones are not appropriate or not preferred for all the different steels you may be sharpening

Happy Holidays to all!

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Henry
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 28

Much obliged!

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.