Advanced Search

Renaissance in Writing!

Recent Forums Main Forum Off Topic Renaissance in Writing!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Gary Crumb
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 119

Those are some beautiful instruments! I got into making my own pens but my handwriting has always been so atrocious I never use them for more than mundane everyday writing needs. It’s kind of a zen thing for me to smell and feel the wood or whatever material I happen to be using on that current pen take shape. But as someone who knows what goes into a finely crafted writing instrument, I can definitely appreciate what you have there and understand how an emotional bond can develop. I often have a hard time seeing some of my own creations go into anothers possession. I imagine it’s much the same once you “get to know” that pen after using it to put your life into black and white, which is admirable in it’s own right. Thank you for sharing!

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

Thank you very much Gary!
    I have a friend Duncan Suss who also crafts his own pens. He is making one for me as we speak from Honduran Rosewood Burl. It will match the pencil he made me

I would love to see some of your work mate. Why don’t you post some for us all to enjoy.
    A pleasure to meet you Gary.

Warm regards
    Leo

Gary Crumb
    Participant

Thank you very much Gary!
    I have a friend Duncan Suss who also crafts his own pens. He is making one for me as we speak from Honduran Rosewood Burl. It will match the pencil he made me

I would love to see some of your work mate. Why don’t you post some for us all to enjoy.
    A pleasure to meet you Gary.

Warm regards
    Leo

That is an absolutely gorgeous burl! I have done the same thing with a couple of my slimline’s that Duncan did with that one by leaving out the center band to give a little more bulk to the pen and more freedom with the final shape. I have also done some experimenting lately with pouring my own acrylic blanks and have done a very little copper inlay stuff. I will try to get some photo’s of some of the pens I still have that haven’t found new homes yet. I am more concerned with taking over your thread so I will keep them to a minimum. 😉 Thank you again for sharing and for your warm words!

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

Don’t you worry about taking over this thread my friend, I was hoping others of like mind would jump in and here you are. Please feel free to post in this thread, especially if I/we can get to see your craftsmanship. I am looking forward to it.;) Now, where is Wayne Reimer too!!!?

All the best

Leo

Gary Crumb
    Participant

I haven’t forgotten about getting some pics of my pens up, I just have to find some time to take them! You know how the holidays are…
    I was just wondering if you ever located a burgundy to complete your set?

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

Not yet! I am looking for an auction on e bay so I can add to the excitement and besides I have to save some money to pay Duncan for the grand pen he is crafting for me. I am having the trims done in sterling silver and the best steel italic 1.1mm nib we can find tuned by a nib master.
    I can’t wait to see your pictures chum. :ohmy:

Best regards
    Leo

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

Wayne Reimer where are you mate? I was hoping you would post some pictures of your pens too. BTW what kind of camera equipment do you use. I am a Pentax user…I have a K-5 camera with a slew of lenses from 14mm up to 200mm plus flashes and tripods. Hmm! It just dawned on me how much stuff I have. :woohoo: The better to shoot my pens with!
    I hope to hear from you Wayne.

Best to you
    Leo

Wayne Reimer
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 28

Originally from Calgary Alberta. Since retiring, I have been following my wife around the country with her career, currently in Regina Saskatchewan.

As for Camera equipment, I was a die-hard Fuji fan for many years, and still shoot an S5Pro for weddings and portraiture. I started an independent video production house a couple of years ago and began shooting Sony products for video work, and eventually moved into their mirrorless systems for stills. I currently have a NEX 3, a NEX 5N and a NEX7, and many more lenses than I need, Sony E and A mount and many Nikon lenses as well from my Fuji days. Astonishing that they are able to fit an APS-C sensor and 24 megapixels in a camera as small as this.

I will try to shoot some images of my pens in a few days. I am being admitted to hospital in a couple of hours for surgery so I’ll be off-line for a few days

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

Good luck and good health Wayne!!!

Leo

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

That is absolutely stunning! I’m going to say goodbye to my knives and start collecting pens. I didn’t even realize there are custom-made pens, too. Drool… What an incredible craftmanship…

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

That is absolutely stunning! I’m going to say goodbye to my knives and start collecting pens. I didn’t even realize there are custom-made pens, too. Drool… What an incredible craftmanship…[/quote]

Well I will tell Duncan you said so my friend. He will appreciate your kudos. Please don’t give up your knives yet, but you might want to save your shekels for a fine custom made pen. 🙂

Later my friend!

Leo

Gary Crumb
    Participant

I did manage to find some time so I shot a few quick and dirty pics of some of the remaining creations.
    Left to right:cocobolo with beech or maple accents,rosewood black walnut and copper,corian, acrylic(opal with deep purple and cotton candy accents), segmented walnut, crepe myrtle, acrylic (my own poured blank), opal acrylic, corian, beech with a black walnut accent, corian, bubinga.

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

Hi mate!
    Good of you to put up those beauties!Some mighty fine writing instruments in your collection!!! And BTW the case is awesome!!:woohoo: More please!

Leo

Gary Crumb
    Participant

That’s just a quarter of the case. I shot the whole case but am trying to remember all the different woods/materials so I can caption the pics. coming soon!

Gary Crumb
    Participant

The first 4 are antler, another crepe myrtle, cotton candy with deep purple accent acrylic, jobillo, olivewood, black walnut, shredded cash!, lacewood (really prone to tearout and difficult to turn), spalted maple (I think). That last one is a fountain pen, but I really doubt the nib is on par with yours.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.