Advanced Search

Removing the gen 3 jaws?

Recent Forums Main Forum Removing the gen 3 jaws?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    James Bare
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 20

Is there any special way to remove the jaws? I know it can be done since they have the  smaller and wider jaws. I need to remove them so that it fits in my case again without totally taking everything apart.

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

The pins that are the pivot points for the jaws can be removed by simply pushing them out. I have done this to mine and was able to easily able to put it back together. Let me know if you need pictures or further explanation.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Alan
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 206

One day I’m sure I’ll need to do this, perhaps only for a thorough cleaning.  What about the little spring between the jaws?  Does it go flying, or is it secured to one of the jaws in some way?

Alan

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

The pins that are the pivot points for the jaws can be removed by simply pushing them out. I have done this to mine and was able to easily able to put it back together. Let me know if you need pictures or further explanation.

I would appreciate if you would do this. I tried to remove the pins once and they seemed very tightly held in place so I gave up.  Thanks

Marc

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Montana Edge
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 62

The jaw pins just push out. I use the allen wrench tool from my gen2. Anything smaller diameter than the pins will do it. The pins don’t need to be removed all the way out, rather push them far enough that the jaws release. The gen2 allen key is the perfect length to push the pins out the right distance. The spring is a non issue. It will usually stay attached to one or the other jaw.  I change jaw sets all the time (commercial application). It now takes me 10 seconds max to change a set.

Organic
    Participant

I would appreciate if you would do this. I tried to remove the pins once and they seemed very tightly held in place so I gave up. Thanks Marc

I should have some time to do this for you tonight after work.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant

Step One: Locate the pins that hold the jaws in place.
     photo 20170313_232809597_iOS_zpspx0fkgh7.jpg

Step Two: Push the pin out (this does take a moderate amount of force). I used an Allen wrench.
     photo 20170313_232846286_iOS_zpsepb8fnly.jpg

Step Three: When the pin has been removed, lift the jaw out of the clamp. The spring may come with it.
     photo 20170313_233020213_iOS_zpsqmqxdjog.jpg

Step Four: Repeat this for the other clamp jaw.
     photo 20170313_233121653_iOS_zpswwfeqel3.jpg

photo 20170313_233136926_iOS_zpsr4kscpc8.jpg

Sorry for the focus on the last photo. I didn’t realize it was blurry until I had already put it back together. I hope that helps!

James Bare
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 20

I figured it was that simple, I just can’t get my pins to move though. Would it hurt to put some oil on the pins? Thanks for taking the time for the pictures as well.

Organic
    Participant

I figured it was that simple, I just can’t get my pins to move though. Would it hurt to put some oil on the pins? Thanks for taking the time for the pictures as well.

It should be fine. There’s a small chance that it might catch the metal and diamond dust and work it into the pivots if you put a lot of oil on there.

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

I have always had to hammer (light tapping) my pins out on my gen 3 jaws ( I use the small end of the gen 2 allen key). Been doing it for 1-2 years now since the gen 3 came out been doing fine. Sometimes the holes aren’t lined up perfect in manufacturing so that’s why we have to do this, although ideally they should come from Wicked Edge being able to be pushed out w/ little force (according to clay).

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Josh is right – sometimes they need to be tapped out lightly. Because the support members are attached by screws from the bottom, they can have a few thousandths of movement, which means they can become slightly misaligned  and cause a little binding. If you have a little mallet, you can gently tap them loose.

-Clay

Mac
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 8

speaking of the Gen 3 Jaws, can they be purchased separate from the vise?  Boogered mine up while learning to use the system.  Still serviceable, just anal and prefer them to look more professional.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

speaking of the Gen 3 Jaws, can they be purchased separate from the vise? Boogered mine up while learning to use the system. Still serviceable, just anal and prefer them to look more professional.

We can get you set up if you give us a call: 877-616-9911. We don’t keep them in stock so there is a little lead time, but it shouldn’t be too bad.

-Clay

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.