Advanced Search

Recommendation on S30V angles

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    WFB100
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 6

Hi

I bought two hunting knives for my brother to thank him.  One is a Special Edition Buck 102 Woodsman and the other is a Benchmade Steep County.  Both have S30V steel.  The factor edge is pretty rough.  I would like to put a really nice edge on these for him but I am wondering if anyone could recommend for a hunting knife what angle would be good.  I can just match the factory angle but since I have all the stones and a Gen 3 Pro I don’t mind putting some time to give him a nice edge.  He uses these for deer hunting.      Would you recommend a micro bevel and if so what angle for that as well?  Thanks for any help.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by WFB100.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

I think it’s always best to match the factory bevel angle the first time sharpening any knife edge. Afterall, the factory that made this knife chose an edge angle that they have found works well with that steel in that style knife.

Later on after gaining some experience using that knife with this factory edge profile you’ll be able to make an educated decision about changing the edge profile to adjust it to match it’s edge wear.  This may be more acute or more obtuse, only real life experience will lend this data to suggest what profile change is appropriate.

The other consideration in favor of matching the factory angle profiled the first sharpening is it gives you the opportunity to gain sharpening experience on a new knife, this very first time, while removing the least amount of steel.  You get the oportunity to learn how best to clamp and sharpen the knife with the least amount of risk of causing permanent profile changes you may regret later.  Remember, narrowing a bevel angle requires removing new and in this case unused steel that hasn’t been and never will be used and can’t be put back.  I say save the steel for when you know how you want to use it or if you want to remove it.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

3 users thanked author for this post.
    WFB100
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 6

Thanks Marc.    This all makes a lot of sense.  I especially appreciate your advice that removing steel never used is something you can’t put back.      Thank you for taking the time to reply.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.