Advanced Search

Received PPII upgrade, need tips

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Daniel Saucier
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 30

So I recieved the upgrade kit and am going to jump in this weekend. Sharpened 4 knives so far prior to the upgrade.

* What are the main things to look for or do when first using the new arms?

* Seems there are a few methods for covering the ball joints. Is there any consensus on best method?

* Another forum member suggested replacement 10/32 nylon screws for micro adjustments?

Once again, any info is appreciated……

Sauce

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Not sure why you’re thread got missed… I’ll bump it back up. 🙂

Don’t know the answer to your questions haven’t done either one (although I think swapping the micro adjust screw is a good idea).

I will say the new arms will feel a little different, so they might take a little getting used to. (Not a big deal, just thought I’d mention it).

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

I never used the regular arms.

I cover my ball joints with thumbs from rubber kitchen dish gloves. I cust just a tiny slit (1/16″) in the tip and pull it over the rod. This gives a very tight fit. I just cut the thumb/finger to length.

I found some nylon screws at Lowes to replace the fine adjust set screws. I have to use a flat head screwdriver.

Here is how I adjust the fine adjustment:
    Lay stone on knife with angle cube.
    Make the ball joint (joint part) square to the vice.
    Adjust fine screw as needed. (make sure the ball joint does’t turn)
    Make sure the stone does not move.
    Tighten set screw.
    The point of all this is if you lay the stone/rod down before tightening the set screw, the ball joint can turn the adjustment screw. If you leave the hex key in the adjustment screw it is easy to see. This will change the angle very slightly. So I make sure to tighten it up before moving the rod.

Also I try to keep the fine adjust screw run it all the way then turn out as needed. This way I keep the maximum thread engagement possible.

Finally, check the main set screw often. My right one comes loose some during sharpening. Left is not a problem. I will plan on using some Blue loc tire, but haven’t done this yet.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Hi Sauce,

I didn’t do any of the things you talk about. Some people like modding their WEPS, but I didn’t find it necessary.

The nice thing is: it works out of the box :cheer:

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Daniel Saucier
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 30

Hi Sauce,

I didn’t do any of the things you talk about. Some people like modding their WEPS, but I didn’t find it necessary.

The nice thing is: it works out of the box :cheer:

Not looking to modify anything really, just protect it for long term use!

Thanks,
    Sauce

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

Sauce,

I got my arm upgrade real early. I ordered them 6 weeks early and got some of the first batch.. just for a time reference. I have not chaged the fine adjustment set screws and they have caused no problem with damaging the threads. I would guess that the nylon would give more protection, but you can also just flatten the lock screw tips …which I did for all of the set screws, and use reasonable force when tightening them…and you should be fine. Bottom line, if you just don’t crank them done excessively, you will be fine.

I did put the “Purple” locktite on all of the set screws. The purple is a light hold “breakable” thread locker. The blue or the red are considered permanent. It will go a long way towards keeping everything where you set it. This adds just enough friction for my use.

I haven’t covered the ball joints. I do have two magnets on each joint. These gather much of the loose metal. I wipe the joints with alcohol after a few kinives and put a coat of Super lube, a synthetic oil, on them. If I could find a proper well fitting boot, I would probably use it. I haven’t found one. So far, the joints look brand new, even with magnification. You could likely do nothing and the joints will last many, many years. By that time, clay will likely have something even better for you to buy… 🙂

Phil

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

I agree with Phil and Mark,

I need to find some Purple Loctite, it is harder to find than Blue
    The WE arms do work out of the box.
    I have some magnets too, covered in metal dust.
    The gloves fingers also give me reassurance when using water stones I am keeping that part dry. Otherwise with magnets I didn’t see much get on them before I did the glove fingers.

Do use an angle cube. This is what makes the new arms really shine. If you don’t you are missing out on their advantages, at least being able to dial an angle in better than the cube can measure.

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.