Advanced Search

Re: A case for covering the shoulder before clamping

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Re: A case for covering the shoulder before clamping

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Joyal Taylor
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 52

I should have posted this in “Techniques and Sharpening Strategies”. Duh!
    I don’t know how to move it. Too late, I guess.

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

No sooner said than done!

Leo

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

I am so sorry, I seem to have moved only a part of the post and the other part, the important part, is gone. Can you re-post that great post. I am embarassed! Some Mod!
    With apologies

Leo

Joyal Taylor
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 52

No problem Leo and thanks for moving my post to the correct place,

I scratched my Spyderco Delica when sharpening because I didn’t cover the shoulder of the blade with something before clamping to the WE vise. This is a typical Spyderco full flat grind uneven blade that can move in the clamp while sharpening. The scratches are in front of the Spyderco logo.

I was able to polish out the scratches with a compound (Simichrome) on a rag by hand.

Now, just to be safe, I cover the shoulder of any blade with something. Here I’m using blue painter’s tape because it shows up well on camera.

Next are examples of various materials (clockwise from upper left – aluminum foil tape, chamois, blue painter’s tape, double sided foam tape, and jar opening rubber) that have been suggested. They all work to prevent scratching but some (foam tape, chamois, rubber) have the added benefits of filling in the gap of full flat grind uneven blades so that they sit snuggly in the WE vise and they also add thickness to the blade and vise to allow sharpening at a smaller angle and not hitting the vise screw with the stones.

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

Thank you for putting up this post again my friend. 🙂 I learned something new from it and I know others will too. Good stuff! I will be using your wisdom to protect my full flat ground blades from now on. Simplicity eh! Like all good ideas!

Best to you
    Leo

Ziggy
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 177

Tape or chamios can’t go wrong.
    SOP

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.