Advanced Search

Rapala Knives

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Rapala Knives

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Doug
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 1

Will the Wicked Edge system work on fillet knives ?

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

Yes, but you’ll probably need to work one side at a time while holding the handle to stabilize the flexible blade. There are after market modifications that you can rig up that will also help eliminate the blade flex on this type of knife.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    James
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 13

Hi Doug and Welcome to the group. I am very new with the Wicked Edged myself 3-4 weeks and less than 15 Knives on it, but happy with it. I by know means have mastered  it all but very pleased with the results I am getting. The first knife I sharped was a Old Hickory Butcher Knife  that had only been used for a small hatchet for last 15 year. I basically just went a head and started from scratch with it, it will shave hair well and cuts paper well considering 25 degree. Reminder my first knife and a pretty much junk just to learn, start to get a feel, and break stones in a little. Second knife was actually a Gerber Fillet knife I found in a junk truck, truly the dullest fillet knife I could imagine. lol but no joke there was NO Edge. I have the low angle adaptor but did not find it quiet as helpful as I had hoped for. A flimsy fillet knife 7.5 inch is a big step for a beginner like myself, careful mount slow and patient working one side at a time while trying to support the knife too. I have to say it turned out way better than I thought it would, actually decent knife now. I would have got some more practice and get my stone broke in good if was one of my better fillet knives. I like the Wicked Edge but wish it had a better adaptor for such knife, and also something better for smaller pocket knifes another challenge, but I am looking into that. If I can do a fillet knife for my second I am sure there is other that can do a awesome job on one with it. Good Luck !

2 users thanked author for this post.
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I’ve had excellent results with several types of filet knives, including Rapala and Martinii.  I clamp the blade with the tip relatively close to the vise – as close as I can get and still clear the corner of the vise with the stones.  Rather than using the supplied height key, I clamp the blade as high in the vise as possible.  This leave the longer part of the blade and handle extending toward you.  I sharpen one side at a time and use the fingers on my opposite hand to steady the handle in an attempt to prevent flexing.  By one side at a time, I mean maybe ten strokes on the left, then ten strokes on the right.

There are also a couple of more secure arrangements:  First is the use of a tip support pin, which came with the WE100 system I bought in 2011 and mounted in a blind hole on the blue WE base:  Here’s an old Martinii mounted in my Gen 1 vise:

IMG_0286 compressed

I recently purchased a RAM mount that holds the handle solidly and is mounted to the table top with a vacuum base.  Sorry, but the photo shows a kitchen slicer:

RAM Suction Mount

FWIW, I saw the owner of Martinii on TV, going through their manufacturing process and he insisted that their best angle is 22 dps.  I’ve been doing 17 dps with a 20 dps micro-bevel and the owners love it.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I like the Wicked Edge but wish it had a better adaptor for such knife

We’re definitely working toward a better solution. There are a few options we’re exploring, including a couple that were introduced here by forum members. In the meantime, the advice you’re getting here is good.

-Clay

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Bob
    Participant
    • Replies: 8

tcmeyer,  is tne RAM mount something that you put together or bought complete?  Either way could you post a link as to where to get it?  Looks like it will really do the trick.

I thought I posted this before but I can’t seem to find it anywhere. If I did I’m sorry for my redundancy

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

The components are all bought separately.  I posted a list on 11/24, under “Flexible Kitchen Knives”.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Bob
    Participant
    • Replies: 8

Thanks tcmeyer, it looks like it works great.  Since I have a wooden workbench I would look for a screw down base instead of a suction cup mount, which hopefully will work just as well.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.