Advanced Search

Protective Boots for new Ball Joint Arms

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance Protective Boots for new Ball Joint Arms

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    TonyJ
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 7

I had been thinking of a cheap quick and effective means of protecting the ball joints of the new arms from filings etc. The disc over the joints did not seem to offer any real protection.

I came up with the idea of canabalising the fingers off a heavy duty rubber glove.

* remove the arms from the WE
    * remove the arm from the arm bracket
    * cut the finger off the glove at the base of the finger
    * snip a small hole in the top of the finger and slide it down the arm so that the top of the finger sits above the arm lock nut
    * when in place snip a small hole for the micro adjust threaded end
    * slide the glove over the micro adjust threaded end
    * reassemble the arm
    * repeat for other arm
    * reassemble WE

Tony

Attachments:
    Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Bumping this up.

I was thinking about protection for the upgrade arms joints. I have some rare earth magnets to catch the steel, but unfortunately they don’t get the stone dust.

Anyone using glove fingers or have other ideas?

I used some 2″ squares of bubble wrap. It is the right mix of stiffness and flexibility. But not a very permanent solution. (at least bubble wrap is readily available).

Billibong, I have seen your post with the replacement, sealed joints.

nudood
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 4

I’m using glove fingers. Mine are 14 mil latex, probably overkill but it’s what I had on hand. I didn’t cut the holes in the side of the finger, as TonyJ did, I just left them a bit too long so they bunch up at the bottom of the arm.

Fred Hermann
    Participant
    • Topics: 30
    • Replies: 188

this is a great simple idea. So when my wife asks where the thumbs to the dish gloves went….I have an excuse.

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

Good idea. Simple. Effective .
    Think I’ll use it. Seal it with a little rubber cement. Punch a hole for the micro adjust.
    It will look better than my plastic wrap and rubber bands 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.