Advanced Search

Progression: 100# to Micro-Fine Stones

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I’ve been getting used to my new ZT0560 and am now tinkering with the edge. I’ve carried it for about 3 weeks with the factory edge, using it for small tasks. It was never very sharp when I got it, just barely shaved but did cut boxes and things well enough.

Today I mounted it up and set about equalizing the bevels. It was pretty far off, a difference of over 4 degrees from one side to the other. I set it at a precise 19 degrees per side and got after it with the 50# and 80# stones. After the 80#, it shaved roughly and slashed double walled cardboard nicely. I then stropped it with the 14um strops which made it shave more smoothly and still cut the cardboard aggressively. I did 23x 36″ long cuts through the cardboard before the blade started getting hot and snagging.

After that little test, I straightened the edge with the 100# stones before progressing directly on to the Micro-Fine stones. Now the edge is extremely aggressive, shaves smoothly and slashes through copy paper, even push cuts it easily. It’s not a mirror finish, but has a nice bright look and some wicked micro-teeth. I’ll try to get some pictures taken tomorrow and will post them.

I wanted to see what skipping some stones would do and I’m pleased with the results. I’m hoping others will fiddle around with different progressions, omitting various grits and doing some tests. I think some things to study are a rough finish with some stropping to clean it up a little, a super polished bevel with a toothier micro-bevel and a toothy bevel and polished micro-bevel. I’m specifically interested in edges customize for specific tasks e.g. cutting veggies, opening boxes, cutting rope etc….

-Clay

wickededge
    Keymaster

Here is my first pick of the edge after the following stones: 50#, 80#, 100#, Micro-Fine Coarse, Micro-Fine Fine

-Clay

wickededge
    Keymaster

It looks like I need to do some work cleaning up the edge of the edge, will work on that tomorrow.

-Clay

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

sweet! first pics from your new microscope?!

I too am curious about the results… I have never thought of doing this before. I would like to play around with stropping with some type of cloth (felt or nanocloth maybe?) that has little fibrous bristles (would look like carpet if you zoomed up close enough) loaded with a compound. I am courious if you can actually polish IN the micro serrations, instead of just the peaks themselves (like leather would do)…

wickededge
    Keymaster

This one isn´t from my new scope. I was in a hurry and so used the 500x instead since it´s really quick. Felt or split grain leather work really well for loading up compound and getting into the grooves.

sweet! first pics from your new microscope?!

I too am curious about the results… I have never thought of doing this before. I would like to play around with stropping with some type of cloth (felt or nanocloth maybe?) that has little fibrous bristles (would look like carpet if you zoomed up close enough) loaded with a compound. I am courious if you can actually polish IN the micro serrations, instead of just the peaks themselves (like leather would do)…

-Clay

wickededge
    Keymaster

I took a fresh look at the knife this morning and got it up under the new scope. I’m still having issues with the 100x objective, so for now, I’m limited to 800x which is still pretty awesome. Here is the edge at 500x:

Here it is again at 800x:

It’s really clear how the edge needs refinement. It’s natural that it’s fairly serrated looking, that was intentional, going straight from the 100x to the Micro-Fine ceramics. What really interested me was the little burr, so I decided to give it 10 strokes per side with the 14um strops. My goal was to clean up the edge and deburr the blade while leaving it toothy. Here it is at 800x after stropping:

It shaves extremely smoothly now, a big difference after just those few strokes with the strops. I’ll carry the knife toothy like this for a few day, maybe tinkering around with some coarse strops of various configurations to see what kinds of edges I can get and how they perform on real world tasks.

-Clay

wickededge
    Keymaster

Couldn’t resist tinkering a little bit right away so I took a set of balsa strops loaded with 15um CBN from Ken Schwartz and spent a little time on the blade. Here it is at 800x:

Just what I was looking for in terms of edge tooth. I’m excited to use this knife around the office, will probably invent some cutting tasks so I can see how it performs.

-Clay

wickededge
    Keymaster

A couple quick tests after the 15um CBN and Balsa strops:

Shaving – effective but not as easy as after the 14um Diamond and Leather Strops
    Copy Paper – easily slashes through, cuts curves and push cuts well

Off to attack some boxes 🙂

-Clay

wickededge
    Keymaster

Just completed 80 cuts, 24″ long without the blade getting hot. It’s no longer shaving nor going through the copy paper easily, but still, 80 cuts through double wall cardboard is pretty impressive, especially for such a thick blade. So far, I’m liking the 15um edge.

-Clay

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Thanks! Keep us posted! loving the new pictures from your microscope!

wickededge
    Keymaster

A couple of observations so far:

1. I focused on rake angle during the whole process and found that it made a significant impact on performance. The first rake angle I tried was too extreme and required me to hold the knife at a funny angle while slashing through the cardboard. I modified the angle to 30 degrees from perpendicular (easily verified via microscope) and found a tremendous improvement.
    2. The cardboard was touch on the blade and the 15um CBN and Balsa strops weren’t able to restore the edge to shaving sharp. I had to go back to the Micro-Fines to get it done and even then it took a while to get rid of the little flat spot on the edge of the edge which made me wish I hadn’t lapped the brown stones. I think I’ll want to test a set where I do lap the white stones but leave the brown ones alone so they can be more aggressive.

-Clay

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

loving the new pictures from your microscope!

+1 !

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

wickededge
    Keymaster

Clearly I can’t help tinkering… I wasn’t satisfied with the edge restored using the Micro-Fine stones and 15um CBN and Balsa strops after cutting all that cardboard; it just wasn’t sharp enough for me. I decided to go a different route and picked up my 400#/600# diamond stones and sharpened it with those. Immediately there was huge improvement. My stones are extremely well worn in so even at 600# the edge is very refined. I jumped from there to the Super Fine Ceramic stones which really cleaned it up and then on to the 14/10 Diamond and Leather Strops and then for the heck of it, .75um CBN on Balsa strops. Now the blade is extremely sharp! Here is a picture of the edge:

I like this image because you can see the old scratches as well as the tiny ones from the strops.

-Clay

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.