Advanced Search

Problem with my 1500/2200 stone

Recent Forums Main Forum Getting Started Problem with my 1500/2200 stone

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Kevinchau270
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 2

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Hi ! I just started to use my pro pack II for 3-4 knifes and the stones are probably still not completely broken in yet.</p>
    However my 1500/2200 stone doesn’t look good to me just after sharpened 4 knifes. Seems like only the edges of the stone are touching the knife edge.

I tried to wipe away the metal particles from those edges and I can also feel they’re a bit flattened.

I wonder does this happen to anyone or is it just totally normal?

thank you…

• This topic was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by Kevinchau270.
    Attachments:
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Welcome to the W.E. forum and W.E. sharpener’s community, Kevinchau270.

Sometimes there are problems seen in the diamond stones.  We do see plating issues or maybe an agglomeration of diamond abrasive causing a random placed, high rough spot on some plates.  The higher grit stones with their relatively smaller abrasive size and thinner plating may be more worrisome.

I would create a ticket just to go on record with W.E. that you have product concerns.  I don’t know that the category you post the ticket under really matters.  It will be addressed just the same.  W.E. will make it good if you ask them to.

In the meantime, from your included photo, it does indeed appear the outer edges may be higher than the center.  At least, the edges appear where all the contact is occurring.  A couple questions I have are:

1. are both stones of this 1500/2200 set like this one described and pictured, and behaving similarly?
    2. can you lay a straight edge across the surface, side-to-side, top-to-bottom, and diagonally, to see if there truly is a discernable low spot in the stone’s face, or possibly high edges, as it seems there is?  A metal ruler or machinist measure will work well for doing this.

Since your stones not fully broken in, you might as well just use it on a beater knife.  The edges where we see the black worn lines may wear down in short order by using the stone across a flat portion of the beater knife’s steel.  It may come around easily and not be problematic any longer.  My concern, and probably yours too, is it’ll wear through the plating exposing the steel base plate under the plating.  You can’t hurt anything with a beater knife.  Maybe you even have a piece of steel flat bar in your home you can use to do this instead of a knife.

Either way, it’s just an inconvenience.  W.E. will make it right if the stone doesn’t improve with use.  Save the order ticket as documentation in case you decide later on it does need to be replaced.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Unless Kevin’s been sharpening a bunch of concave blades, this suggests that either (A) the platen(s?) aren’t flat or (B) the diamond matrix has been piled really high along the edges.  Even moderate blade designs have some convexity to them and any stone will tend to lay flat along the bevel.  It would take some effort (C) on the part of the user to roll the stone toward its edges.  I’d go with (B) and expect the break-in process to eventually even this out.

Kevinchau270
    Participant

Welcome to the W.E. forum and W.E. sharpener’s community, Kevinchau270. Sometimes there are problems seen in the diamond stones. We do see plating issues or maybe an agglomeration of diamond abrasive causing a random placed, high rough spot on some plates. The higher grit stones with their relatively smaller abrasive size and thinner plating may be more worrisome. I would create a ticket just to go on record with W.E. that you have product concerns. I don’t know that the category you post the ticket under really matters. It will be addressed just the same. W.E. will make it good if you ask them to. In the meantime, from your included photo, it does indeed appear the outer edges may be higher than the center. At least, the edges appear where all the contact is occurring. A couple questions I have are:

1. are both stones of this 1500/2200 set like this one described and pictured, and behaving similarly?
    2. can you lay a straight edge across the surface, side-to-side, top-to-bottom, and diagonally, to see if there truly is a discernable low spot in the stone’s face, or possibly high edges, as it seems there is? A metal ruler or machinist measure will work well for doing this.

Since your stones not fully broken in, you might as well just use it on a beater knife. The edges where we see the black worn lines may wear down in short order by using the stone across a flat portion of the beater knife’s steel. It may come around easily and not be problematic any longer. My concern, and probably yours too, is it’ll wear through the plating exposing the steel base plate under the plating. You can’t hurt anything with a beater knife. Maybe you even have a piece of steel flat bar in your home you can use to do this instead of a knife. Either way, it’s just an inconvenience. W.E. will make it right if the stone doesn’t improve with use. Save the order ticket as documentation in case you decide later on it does need to be replaced.

Hi MarcH,

I’m very appreciate with your informative reply.

All 4 surfaces on 1500/2200 stones are like the picture and behaving pretty much the same. I have taken some more pictures of them. I tried your way to lay a metal ruler onto the most concaved stone and put torch behind it. It seems showed there is low spot on the stone and I have pictured it as well.

I think I should also create a ticket with wicked edge to seek for their advice or maybe a replacement.

Many thanks.

Kevin

Unless Kevin’s been sharpening a bunch of concave blades, this suggests that either (A) the platen(s?) aren’t flat or (B) the diamond matrix has been piled really high along the edges. Even moderate blade designs have some convexity to them and any stone will tend to lay flat along the bevel. It would take some effort (C) on the part of the user to roll the stone toward its edges. I’d go with (B) and expect the break-in process to eventually even this out.

Hi tcmeyer

I mostly use some old boning knife to practice and break-in the stones.

I believe (A)the platens may be not truely flat. I tried to picture it please have a look.

Thank you!

Kevin

Attachments:
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

The concavity shown in your third picture would cause a slightly convex bevel.  Can you show a picture of the concavity in the other axis, with  the straight edge cross-wise relative to the center of the platen?

In any case, the longitudinally concave platens need to be replaced.

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

I think I should also create a ticket with wicked edge to seek for their advice or maybe a replacement. Many thanks. Kevin

I’d attach the third photo to the ticket.  The visual proof will show them there is indeed a production issue for this plate.

Do you have any other fine grit plates?  Like the 3000 grit?  Are you seeing this concavity across all your fine grit stones; each and everyone of them; (1500, 2200, 3000)? Or is it just one particular grit?

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by Marc H.
    1 user thanked author for this post.
    Kevinchau270
    Participant

Can you show a picture of the concavity in the other axis, with the straight edge cross-wise relative to the center of the platen?

The other axis is pretty hard to capture as the length is shorter and makes it hard to show, but I believe they are concaved as the first picture shows only the outer edge been able to contact with the knife edge..

. Do you have any other fine grit plates? Like the 3000 grit? Are you seeing this concavity across all your fine grit stones; each and everyone of them; (1500, 2200, 3000)? Or is it just one particular grit?

The 1500/2200 is the highest grit stone I’ve got for now.

The other stone surface of these grits by comparing with the side on third photo they also have the concavity as the light from the torch also able to past through between the stone surface and the metal ruler.

Not as obvious as the third photo, but harder to capture from camera.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.