Advanced Search

Pro Pac II Stone Progression

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jack Montrose
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 67

Hope this is not a stupid question; I Just bought the Pro Pac II and was wondering if the jump from 1000 grit diamond stone to 1.4 micron ceramic is too big. Wouldn’t going from 1000 grit diamond to 1200 then 1600 ceramic to 1.4 then .6 micron ceramic be the natural progression? Haven’t received my WEPS yet, so I’m just wondering (maybe I’m over thinking it).

Jack

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

It may take a few more strokes to get rid of the scratches from the 1K grit diamonds.
    OTH Lots of people here believe that the coarse Microfine ceramic, stock, without being lapped , and smoothed, is actually a bit more coarse than the ceramic stone sold as 1200 grit.
    You can texture it to act more or less aggressive per your requirements.

Check this thread
    http://www.wickededgeusa.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=8&id=11385&limit=10&limitstart=70&Itemid=63

page 8

start at post 11972

Give it a try and see what you think.

Jack Montrose
    Participant

I’ve tried to respond a couple of times but it just won’t go though. Oh well here goes one more try.

Thanks Phil for the response, I read from page 8 till the end of the thread but, I’m not sure it answered my question (sort of data overload). You did state that the progression from 1000 diamond to 1.4 then .6 micron ceramic should be fine with a little extra work to remove/lessen scratches. OK I will have to wait and see how it works for me after I receive my WEPS. I do appreciate your response though.

Jack

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

Good idea… see how it works.
    The link was just to show you a little about the texturing comment that I made.
    You can make the ceramics act differently at the edge by texturing them.
    This just means that, if you decide you need to, you can adjust the 1.4 micron stone to be a bit more aggressive.

Best to try everything out. You may be happy just the way it is.

Jose Fuste
    Participant
    • Replies: 26

Hi Jack, this is what worked for me so far;

1000, 1.4, 1200, 1600 and finally .6 in that order.

Jack Montrose
    Participant

Wow! Jose, that seems to be an unusual progression. I will keep it in mind to try. Thank you for the suggestion.

Jack B)

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

It’s not really unusual… there’s sort of a divided camp on which progression is better.

(I’m in Jose’s corner). 🙂

I actually set out a couple of weeks ago or so to try and come up with a definitive answer… it’s so hard to tell a difference at the end, I’m not sure there’s really a correct progression. I think some of it has to do with whether or not you do any “texturing” to the stones.

Jack Montrose
    Participant

Thank you cbwx34, I think I will play around with the stones that come with the pro pac II then order the 1200/1600 stones and play with them a bit. From what I’ve been reading there seems to be no set rule nor even set progression, just what seems to work best fo each individual person.

Jack

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.