Advanced Search

posted few years back – fyi

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpening as a Business posted few years back – fyi

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    tuffy braithwaite
    Participant
    • Topics: 184
    • Replies: 360

i put hundreds of these on outside edge of our sharpening table at all gun shows we work  –  they really generate a lot of attention and conversation

Attachments:
    5 users thanked author for this post.
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Hahah, Ive got them lying throught the whole house, but particularly in the kitchen (=workspace) and bathroom. I can imagine they work at shows.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I almost detached the entire pad of the end of my middle finger, right hand tonight;  I’m a lefty.  Sharp knife (what else?) and trying to bisect the last 1/4″ of a stick of hard summer sausage.  Surprisingly, there was very little pain, but lots of blood (clopedogril).  The elastic fabric band-aid did the trick.  Nice and tight.  First time it’s happened at the cutting board.  Two Manhattans.  Go figure.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Luckily you didn’t have to go to the first aid. All the best!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

M1rrorEdge
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 222

I love this idea and the lasting effect on your customers is priceless.  I bet they will always remember it.

Eddie Kinlen
    M1rror Edge Sharpening Service, LLC
    +1(682)777-1622

dulledge
    Participant
    • Topics: 12
    • Replies: 183

Great idea! 🙂 Many times I saw a slogan that “sharp knife is safer than dull knife”. Not from my experience.

How do you stop bleeding? Band aid seems to help only after bleeding stopped. It only covers the wound from contamination.

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

Although I have not personally done it, many people have used super glue to close a cut. A little reading on wikipedia informs me that regular super glue is not FDA approved for this application because it can cause some skin irritation, but a very closely related fast-setting adhesive by the name Dermabond is approved for closure of cuts and this addressed the skin irritation issue.

tcmeyer
    Participant

Great idea!  Many times I saw a slogan that “sharp knife is safer than dull knife”. Not from my experience. How do you stop bleeding? Band aid seems to help only after bleeding stopped. It only covers the wound from contamination.

Stopping the bleeding is the main problem I have, since I’m on a blood thinner.  The cut I’m dealing with now was a pretty good leaker, so I wrapped a flexible Band-Aid rather tightly for the first day.  After that, you’re pretty good with regular Band-Aid changes.  If it’s not not near the tip of a finger, I like the new “advanced healing” bandages, which are water-proof and stay on for 3-4 days, after which things are pretty well healed up.

If you are in a situation where you’ve truly done some serious damage to yourself and are losing substantial amounts of that red liquid, you would do well to have one of those first-aid packs they use to stop hemorrhaging on the battlefield.  I visited the local Gander Mountain store here last week, and they had ’em in their camping section, so I’m sure they’re also on the ‘net.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    M1rrorEdge
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 222

“sharp knife is safer than dull knife”.

It’s funny you said that, I just read this statement in U.S. government policy and thought to share it.   The “Sharp knife is safer than a dull knife” isn’t a “Slogan” it’s actually a O.S.H.A standard  for tools that are supposed to be sharp (OSHA3080-See Attachment if  the Web Admin lets me).  Straight off the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (O.S.H.A.) website (In the U.S.).   I don’t think most restaurants, barbers, or salons in the U.S. have considered this (Enjoy).

OSHA-Publicaiton

Eddie Kinlen
    M1rror Edge Sharpening Service, LLC
    +1(682)777-1622

Attachments:
    tcmeyer
    Participant

I think the basis of thought behind the “sharp knife is safer than dull knife” rule lies in the fact that a sharp knife usually requires very little force to cut the material at hand.  Requiring much more force, a dull knife could slip and produce an injury.

dulledge
    Participant

Maybe sharp knives are safer in professional environment. Professional cooks and meat processors have different techique.

For lousy home users like me it is a different story. Once we rented a big vacation house with large group of friends for skiing vacation. Of course I sharpened knives at the kitchen there. And although I warned everybody several times that knives are very sharp, everyone cut themselves during 4 days of our trip.

MarcH
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2733

And although I warned everybody several times that knives are very sharp, everyone cut themselves during 4 days of our trip.

Just they’re way of acknowledging a sharpening job well done.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

QuikClot and other coagulants work great. I keep a bunch around the shop and we take it to shows and I keep it in my first aid kit in my backpack. Once I get the bleeding to stop, I like the hydrocolloid bandages that Tom is describing.

-Clay

2 users thanked author for this post.
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I have used the skin glues quite a bit for little nicks that don’t bleed much and their great for keeping a low profile and keeping the wound closed and protected from dirt.

-Clay

2 users thanked author for this post.
    dulledge
    Participant

QuikClot and other coagulants work great.

Thank you for your tip! I started to look for it on Amazon and found another couple of interesting things:

Curad Quickstop Instant Clotting Technology Flex-Fabric Bandages, Assorted Size, 30 Count

Curad Bloodstop Hemostatic Gauze, 1 X 1 Inches, 10 Count

They are compact and I guess they would be better for small cuts. These pads are thicker and have blood stopping ingredients. There are a bunch of other blood stopping products that I never knew they existed. Thanks again! 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.