Advanced Search

Please help decide which WE to buy

Recent Forums Main Forum Getting Started Please help decide which WE to buy

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Spectre_87
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 5

Hello!

I finally decided on going for a wicked edge system. I am currently looking at the Field & Sport or the Field & Sport Pro. I read that the gen. 3 vise has trouble with smaller knifes. I only have a couple of small-ish knives like the paramilitary II, Griptillian, etc.  Big knives aren’t really my thing. The biggest knife I have is a ZT 0560. Would it present a problem? Should I get the Field & Sport instead of the Pro? I haven’t mentioned the basic WEPS because it doesn’t have the Upgraded Pro-Pack II angle system with ball joints that the above mentioned comes with. I’ve heard really good things about the upgraded arms (some say it’s a must). The Gen. 3 pro is a bit out of my price range, hence why I’m mainly looking at the F&S models. I don’t really need the portability, but price is more of a concern to me.

Sorry if I’m asking too many questions; I tried my best to read through the forums and even knife club @ reddit. My country doesn’t sell the WE so I have to make this right the first time 

Thanks in advance!

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I think the general position here is that the Gen 2 with the upgraded ball joints is the best choice for users who don’t need rapid mounting – that the money is best spent on the finer stones.  Ultimately, you should have 100/200, 400/600, 800/1000 diamond stones, then 1200/1600 ceramics and a pair of leather strops with 5/3.5 micron paste.  If you need to cut your costs, drop the ceramic stones.  If you intend to limit yourself to less than mirror finishes, you can get by with just the diamond stones.

I haven’t tried the Field & Sport packs, so can’t speak to the difference between them and the heavy bases.  If you don’t need portability, any heavy base is workable.  Users have reported using wood, steel or granite.  If it’s steady, it’s good.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Spectre_87
    Participant

Thanks for responding. The Gen. 2 you mentioned is the basic $299 WEPS, right?

If I were to get that, I will get the 1200/1600 ceramics+upgraded ball joints and some strops/paste. Do I need anything else (like the micro fine ceramic stones pack) in order to achieve a mirror finishes? I’ve changed my stance, since I’m already going to spend over $500, might as well spend a bit more to get the results I want. Please advise.

-edit

So I added up the items, WEPS+1200/1600, micro fine stone pack, 5/3.5 strop pack, 1/0.5 strop pack, pro pack II upgrade kit = $743.
    The Pro Pack II is $749 and comes with a base, angle gauge. Should I go ahead with the PP2? It seems like I’ll get more with the PP2 than just adding up random accessories.

Then again, I’m pretty sure I’m over thinking this 

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 427

Hello Spectre_87 welcome to the forum… It would be good to fill in your profile, this would let us know what country you are in. AS far as the Wicked Edge system goes… Ive been sharpening knives for 55 years of my 70 years of life. I never achieved the repeatability and wicked sharpness that I know know, because of the wicked edge system.

You are asking good questions, and doing the research before you spend the money. It is in your best interest. I always ask  a new member here

1. what are you trying to achieve ?
    2. What is your budget ?
    Not everyone is loo9king for the same thing. Many of us are Obsessive compulsive diseased ( OCD ) obsessive compulsion disorder.  Kind of a joke around here.
    The problem I see, is most people will spend the minimum to get the job done, the one that they think they want. Then after a few weeks, realize how much better their edge can be with the addition of some extra stuff.  Stuff that if they bought it in a package would have saved them some money. I try to push the person’s idea of a budget. Its like buying a car without air-conditioning to save money, then realize that adding air conditioning is only a few dollars more. O)f course I am speaking about purchases made many years ago.. Not sure if you can buy a car without air conditioning now, Or electric windows. If you get my reasoning.
    You wont get the ball joints with the basic set up, you wont get the granite base or any base for that matter.  You can go for the field kit, but that again has many short comings…. if your budget is 300 dollars, you will get sharp knives, but not wicked sharp knives , that most of us here have learned to accept.
    So before getting too deep ( I can talk ) how much is in your budget? And why are you looking at a Wicked edge system? What do you expect from it, and what has been your sharpening experience.. I can tell you , from my experience, there is nothing out there that can come as close to perfection as a wicked edge system… controlling the angle, and being able to do both sides at the same time, has fulfilled my only sharpening short coming.
    1 user thanked author for this post.
    Anonymous
    Inactive

The fact that you are looking at the Pro Pac II tells me you can push your budget this far.. AS a retired engineer, I found that the Pro Pac II is the best bang for the buck. This is what I have…. and after careful consideration and research.

It has the right arms, has a granite base, the ceramic stones, it has strops, and diamond paste, and the very necessary angle cube.  I added a Case and a microscope. a set of balsa strops, and extra pastes.

20151229_175738

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Spectre_87
    Participant

Hi Eviltwin,

First of all, thanks for the comprehensive answers! Wow! To answer the two questions you asked:

1)I’d like to achieve the sharpest knives I’ve ever had. A mirror polish is what I’m after, but if my budget of $700-800 cannot achieve it, I can accept it for now and eventually get more things down the road in order to do so.

2)I would say that my budget for now is right around where the Pro Pack II is at. I could of course add more things to it later down the road.

I only got my foot in the world of knives two years ago. So, I’m pretty fresh but I really, really enjoy sharpening knives. I started out with a sharpmaker (which is fine for touch ups, but not so good for reprofiling), then got the Lansky a couple of months ago. Did not like that at all. Then I started researching and came upon the WE. Most say it’s the best on the market, and rightfully so. I think I may be borderline the OCD group you described  My edges have to be perfect and sharp before I call it a day. Sometimes, I’d look up and see that it’s already 1 a.m. or later.  Gotta work tomorrow..maybe I should sleep now..Nah, I need to finish it or I cannot fall asleep.

I’ve only had a couple of hobbies during my short 28 years of life..but nothing can calm me and grants me great satisfaction like a session of knife sharpening! I find it more relaxing/fun/soothing than playing video games, and THAT’s saying a lot. My friends and their families routinely give knives to me for sharpening. But I find that it takes way too much time because I don’t have the right tools for the job. I expect the WE will take it to a whole new level in terms of speed/precision/results.

After reading your replies, I am 90% sure on the Pro Pack II. What are some additional accessories that you may recommend? I will be traveling to the States in March and have already gotten in touch with an authorized dealer there. How big and heavy is the box it with everything?  Could it fit in a luggage?  If not, I may need to ship it back…which totally defeats the purpose of buying it in the States 

Thanks in advance 

Anonymous
    Inactive

I still don’t know your name, or where you live, but I can offer you some help… First of all let me qualify a few things> Ive been sharpening knives for 55 years. For 55 years I have not been completely happy with the results. I could get a fairly sharp knife by my standards, only because I could never make a knife blade razor sharp. The reason was I used wet stones. I could bnver repeat the same stroke angle each time, because my hand and wrist was not locked into a specific angle. The WE system gave me instantly that weak point in my hand sharpening process..  Having a repeatable stroke is the secret, and of course understanding how to sharpen a knife using this system. Understanding how to set the knife in the vice, and then learning the right pressure. The learning cure is not very steep.. I was making wicked sharp edges in one day. I used some kitchen knives ( 8 of them ) to get a feel for the process.. I spent about 10 hours through the day with some food breaks and rest stops .. I am not an expert, by any means, but there are a bunch of guys here who are experts.

So you are in the right place… as far as the WE pro pack II, I could pack everything you see in that photo in a Camera Bag, or a back pack that would fit as a carry on and placed under a seat, or in the overhead. the weight would be around 20 lbs. ( 9.07 kg. )

The largest item is the base 12 in. X 10 in. X 1.5 in.   ( 30.5 cm. X 25.4 cm. X 3.8 cm. )    Everything would fit in a box or bag  13 in. X 11 in. X 9 in. ( 33 cm. X 28 cm. X 22.9 cm.

You would be fine with the Pro Pac II and nothing else for a long time and still not feel as though you are missing anything. I bought a Used but brand new looking gun case at my gun club for 5 dollars, it has room for everything inside it. I don’t put the base or the vice or arms in it, but I could. I don’t take the WEPS anywhere. So no need to pack it up.

let me show you how wicked the WE system, actually is…Other have seen these photos.. I apologize to those who have endured my photos.

Let me tell you I had no respect for just how sharp a edge could actually be. I knew what I thought was a sharp knife… ( That was My Mistake )

here is a shot of my finger after I tested my first wicked edge blade.. I made the mistake of using the” run your finger lightly across the edge method “… I don’t do that any more… I now have a new respect for how wickedly sharp an edge can be. This is the aftermath of sharpening a Swiss Army knife.

20151130_195653

This knife was so sharp, I did not know I was cut, until I saw the blood.

Anonymous
    Inactive

here is a shot of my 5 dollar gun case, with everything inside. Including bandades  You only see one of each set of paddles, there is another one of each just below what you see.

20151218_123128

20151204_211754

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Here is my Zero Tolerance ZT 350 Tiger after taking it from factory sharp to wicked sharp. IM just an amateur at this.. but getting better.

Bill aka ET

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Spectre_87
    Participant

Sorry, allow me to properly introduce myself. My name is Danny and I currently live in Taiwan 

Thanks for the detailed explanations! I learned a lot from you through these posts. Very much appreciated!

I will go ahead and get the pro pack II when the time comes. And I will be very careful after sharpening my knives! Can’t wait to take my edges from shaving sharp to wicked sharp : ) Btw, that’s a beautiful 350 you got there. I hope one day I can achieve something as good as that.

Spectre_87
    Participant

rsz_img_1160
    rsz_shiny

I was able to achieve this with the Lansky last night. It took three hours, though..I imagine the WE is a lot quicker! Time is precious, after all.

Spyderco PM II.

Attachments:
    Anonymous
    Inactive

You did a good job with that Spyderco PM II.  It sure looks shiny. I’m assuming it’s sharp. I hope I was able to help you. but like I said, there are a good number of real experts here. I am not one of them.

Spectre_87
    Participant

Thanks for the kind words. I do admit it looks better in the pictures than it does in real life. It’s pretty sharp–can shave arm/leg hair but not very easily. The blade “tugs” on the hairs a bit. I assume it’s because of a toothier edge? I could only take it up to the 2000 grit ceramic stone and then strop it a bit.

What are some must-know info for a first-time WE user? Do’s and Don’ts?  I will be working with smaller knives like the PM II, griptillian and a ZT or two. Bigger knives would be my mother’s/friends’s kitchen knives.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

What are some must-know info for a first-time WE user? Do’s and Don’ts? I will be working with smaller knives like the PM II, griptillian and a ZT or two. Bigger knives would be my mother’s/friends’s kitchen knives.

I don’t know if it’s possible, but we used to have a Wiki with a lot of info for beginners. Chris/Clay: would it be possible to get this info back online even if it is not in the form of a wiki (i.e. editable)?

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.