Advanced Search

Pass Around

Recent Forums Main Forum Product Announcements Pass Around

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

So would a feller need to unbolt the current vise then install the new vise to get it working?

Just trying to understand all that would be required to give an opinion on how long a person would need to give it a whirl.

Yup, just unbolt the current vise and/or riser and bolt this one on. It just takes a minute to install it.

-Clay

wickededge
    Keymaster

I posted this elsewhere, but since it pertains:

So a few questions that I am looking to answer w/ the pass around are :

1. Am I limited in depth of mounting to the depth key notches or can I go to the bottom of the free floating, spring loaded top part?
    You can mount the knife below the depth key settings and rest it on the housing for the jaws.
    2. Is there a way to make the LAA work with it w/ modification?
    Not yet but I’m working on that…
    3. Can I set the base bar/angles at different degrees on each side (individually) or are they set in stone? Is there a possibility of modding the system to disconnect the “simultanious” adjustment so you CAN adjust them individually when you want to? (of course I will be just looking at it, not doing any mods to this one obviously lol).
    Not currently. You can use the micro-adjust features to set the angles differently on each side. If being able to set dramatically different angles is really a concern to a lot of people, we’ll have to find some means of addressing it.
    4. Does this system come w/ the upgraded ball joint arms as an “all in one” package?
    It does have the upgraded ball joints as standard parts.[/quote]

-Clay

wickededge
    Keymaster

I was thinking it was just the vise and not the new entire system. I did have the same questions regarding the complete system that is in between the current we and the we commercial version.
    It looked like the in between system still had the micro adjust. I am guessing that system and the commercial are specifically designed for restaurants and packing plants etc. Where they have to sharpeen the same knifes over and over and not really for the niche market of ocd geeks like us that get all into the very very slight differences a normal knife user would even care about or notice during use. We and other knife geeks are only like 2% of the general public who use knifes.

You’re right that the one I’m thinking of sending around is just the vise jaw upgrade though I’m not opposed to sending the Gen III Pro prototype around either.

-Clay

wickededge
    Keymaster

At this point, it looks like we have 7 potential testers, so 2 weeks of testing plus transit time in between, so nearly 4 weeks. I think we can call this pass around closed. Please email me with your mailing addresses: clay@wickededgeusa.com

-Clay

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Email sent! 😉

3. Can I set the base bar/angles at different degrees on each side (individually) or are they set in stone? Is there a possibility of modding the system to disconnect the “simultanious” adjustment so you CAN adjust them individually when you want to? (of course I will be just looking at it, not doing any mods to this one obviously lol).
    Not currently. You can use the micro-adjust features to set the angles differently on each side. If being able to set dramatically different angles is really a concern to a lot of people, we’ll have to find some means of addressing it.
    [/color]

Looks to me that the upgrade version keeps the existing bar and independent angle adjustments. Only the new Gen III has the single adjustment.

so, if i am understanding correctly, the one you are passing around Clay, is just the vise without the simultaneous adjustment of the angles… In other words, I will be able to keep my base bar and individual arm adjustment? Because for me, this would be much more ideal than a “all in one” adjustment so what you are passing around would be perfect 😉

blacksheep25
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 68

Clay, you can put me at the end of the list. 😉

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Good luck guys! Have fun with it! I’m very curious about your comments.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant
    • Topics: 184
    • Replies: 360

Dan (in Virginia) would be interested in doing the pass around, though, like tuffybraithwaite, I’m ready to buy! :cheer: Was sharpening my wife’s carving knife that has a varying taper this past weekend and was wishing I had this upgrade already.

In addition to just selling the vise as an upgrade, it would be great if you sold the Gen III without stones when it is released so current Gen II owners could get the quick angle adjust too if interested.

Cheers,
    Dan

maybe i have been missing something or read (did not read)…………..as dan has made mention to above genIII …………………
    STONES
    i have many many paddles and I WOULD NOT BE INTERESTED IN a GenIII if i had to purchase all the stones and paddles again.
    please advise.

wickededge
    Keymaster

maybe i have been missing something or read (did not read)…………..as dan has made mention to above genIII …………………
    STONES
    i have many many paddles and I WOULD NOT BE INTERESTED IN a GenIII if i had to purchase all the stones and paddles again.
    please advise.

You can always buy any of the sharpeners without stones or with whatever mix of stones you might want. You just have to call in or email so we can set it up for you. We definitely don’t want to force anything on anyone.

-Clay

Steven N. Bolin
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 456

I was thinking it was just the vise and not the new entire system.

So was I, Zamfir… I’d like to hear what you have to say regarding the matter. Perhaps we both share the same concern – The possibility of having your entire purchased product considered “dated” by drastic new standards set by an entirely new engineered system; one containing a feature you were under the impression would accentuate your system, not render it obsolete.

… Am I alone on this?

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Any updates on where we are w/ this Clay? just curious… no rush 😛

wickededge
    Keymaster

Any updates on where we are w/ this Clay? just curious… no rush 😛

We’re swamped! It will be more likely that we get it sent out next week though I’ll try to get it out sooner if possible.

-Clay

Fred Hermann
    Participant
    • Topics: 30
    • Replies: 188

If possible, I’d love to be a beta tester.

Fred Hermann in Cincinnati 🙂

Zamfir
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 346

I was thinking it was just the vise and not the new entire system.

So was I, Zamfir… I’d like to hear what you have to say regarding the matter. Perhaps we both share the same concern – The possibility of having your entire purchased product considered “dated” by drastic new standards set by an entirely new engineered system; one containing a feature you were under the impression would accentuate your system, not render it obsolete.

… Am I alone on this?[/quote]

Well, my question was regarding the piece that was going to be for the pass around. I wanted to be sure it would work with what I already have rather than it being an entirely new system. (easier for me to compare apples to apples rather than apples to oranges.

What I have now, works. If there is a vise I can purchase that makes some of my blades easier to mount, I am good with that. It does not make what I have obsolete by any means. I think the best combination of working vs cost was determined on the present vise and it works. With new experiences, and feedback, and I am sure lots of tinkering by the WE team they are trying to make what they have better. Everything else I have—especially the stones and plates and strops and guide arms…will all work with the new vise so I think it is all good! Looking forward to trying it out.

Marc Simon
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 15

I would definitely be interested. I’m in PA.
    Ty
    Marc

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.