Advanced Search

Ok, which one?

Recent Forums Main Forum Getting Started Ok, which one?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    MStarmer
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 11

Ok I’m set on buying a WE sharpener.  Now I’m just trying to narrow down the choices so that I get the one that will best fit my needs.  I sharpen about one knife a week for friends at work (Sheriff’s Dept) so everyone has a knife.  I do okay, I’ve been using my Spyderco setup for the last 15yrs or so and it gets an edge on.  It however doesn’t get knifes the way I want them.  Looking at the setups I like the  PRO-Pack 2, but am hesitant as it doesn’t have the new cam vise.  If I get the 130 and start adding the stones it gets pretty spendy.  I mostly am doing tactical fixed and folders with the occasional kitchen knife.  I like the 130  but I’d probably have to add the 800-1000 and 1500/glass.  Plus tapes and a strop.  I’m just trying to figure out how to get the most value and function without having to buy something twice, or a bunch of stuff I won’t use.

A couple of the knives are a couple of ZT’s S30V, Benchmade 440C, some old Kershaw and Henckels.  Plus a couple of Aus-8 cold steel and one san mai one Tanto.

Thanks guys!

MarcH
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2733

Welcome to the Wicked Edge Forum and Community MStarmer.  There’s no arguing, with the Wicked Edge set-ups you get what you pay for.  I prefer the Vice System incorporated with the WE130 and the Pro Pack 3.

The more variety of knives you want to sharpen and the finer, sharper, more polished edges, are easier achieved with more tools and accessories.  It boils down to “buy it now or buy it later”.  I can say that there is some savings when you buy a more complete set-up like the Pro-Pack 3 at the start.  But the price structure Wicked Edge utilizes does not punish you for buying the add-on accessories at a later time.  If you try to break down the prices by each component you’ll see maybe a 10 or 15% savings.  Considering the quality of the products and the warranty I don’t find that difference hurtful if you have to wait on the funds.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

Welcome to the forum MStarmer!

There is essentially no debate that the generation 3 vice is the better design. The older style clamp can natively accommodate a larger range of blade thicknesses, but only very thick knives will be a problem for the newer design and can be handled by purchasing the jaws for thick knives. If you are debating getting the pro pack 2 or purchasing the WE130 and adding accessories down the line I would say go for the WE130. The pro pack 2 is a great setup and will easily sharpen the types of knives you listed, but you’ll probably wish you dropped the extra cash for the self-centering jaws because they make knife setup so much easier.

Can you elaborate on what it is you find lacking in the results you have been getting with the Sharp Maker? Are you trying to get more polished looking results or do you feel that it doesn’t give you enough edge refinement? We can help you pick out the accessories you’ll want to get the results you’re after.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    MStarmer
    Participant

With the Sharp Maker I get decent results, but mostly I’m limited on sharpening at a specific angle.  This means I’m either reprofiling the blade to meet my sharpener or making a micro-bevel that’s sharp.  I’m stuck at 30 or 40 degrees.  I want sharp, usable edges mostly and the ability to match or refine angles.  Polishing would be nice but a slightly toothy edge is more function for most of the knives I sharpen.  I think the 130 makes the most sense.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

If I were sharpening knives for a Sheriff’s Department, I’d only go with a toothy edge.  For me, that means 800-grit and lower.  Main reason?  If you try to cut a seat belt with a polished edge, you’ll find that just getting a cut started will be very difficult.  Not a good thing when you’re trying to extricate an injured, unconscious person from a burning or sinking vehicle.  Not a problem for knives with a partial serrated edge, which is what all LE officers should  probably carry.

MStarmer
    Participant

If I was sharpening for the dept I’d make them buy it!  I agree, toothy is where it’s at for edc knives but some people have some nice non work stuff.  This is just a hobby so far, I just want to get better at it.

MStarmer
    Participant

One last question. Do these things ever go on sale or do you just bite the bullet and be done?

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

Occasionally they will do a markdown, but this is usually right before or after a revision to the design and is probably an attempt to clear out old stock. It doesn’t happen often.

MStarmer
    Participant

Wish for the price of the 130 you got the base.  If I add the base and 800-1000 stones it’s a bit over budget for me…  Ugh

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Wish for the price of the 130 you got the base. If I add the base and 800-1000 stones it’s a bit over budget for me… Ugh

You can create a base pretty easily out of wood, or you can mount it to a workbench to make it more affordable.

-Clay

2 users thanked author for this post.
    MStarmer
    Participant

Hopefully the wife doesn’t have a stroke but I’m ordering the 130 and the 800-1000 grit stones.  Time to start charging my cheap friends.

Mutt
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 5

I got the Pro Pack III minus the carry case and I am quite pleased with my choice. Sounds like it is pretty close to what you are looking for too. I actually called them and talked to them about my options. Totally worth the call.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    MStarmer
    Participant

I got the Pro Pack III minus the carry case and I am quite pleased with my choice. Sounds like it is pretty close to what you are looking for too. I actually called them and talked to them about my options. Totally worth the call.

Yes but want vs. bank balance dictates a more moderate approach.  From the reviews online and the posts I breezed thru here clearly the 130 is the best choice.  So with that and one set of extra stones brought me a bit above my budget of around $500 but should still give me pretty stellar edges.  No polishing but I can add another set of stones / strops and tapes down the road.  I got out for $637 and will have to make a base but I can handle that part pretty easy.

Thanks for the tips, I’ll be posting tons of questions once I get it and start trying to sharpen every knife I own and everyone else I know.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.